Unlimited Data-how to keep it and get a phone at subsidized price
forestgump02

Hello, I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan iPhone 4s, and when the iPhone 5 (or new iPhone) in september or october, i know how you can keep your unlimited data.  I have another line on my plan, my mom's phone, which is a basic phone.  All I have to do is upgrade that phone line to the new iPhone , go to myverizon and change the ESN/IEMI number on my phone to the new phone and say that i it is customer owned equipment, and baaaammm! I am able to keep my unlimited data, and switch back my mom's phone back to her basic phone.  I called verizon and talked to a rep to make sure this is possible and it is.  The rep told me that is the only way to do it and keep unlimited and get a phone at subsidized price. You need to make sure you don't try a cross-upgrade or choose that as an option when you activate your phone  or you WILL loose your unlimited.   All of the other posts i have read haven't posted this so i wanted to post it to let people know how to keep unlimited and get a new phone! And also for you readers, I work for a competitor of verizon and know how the lingo works to get all of this to work properly Smiley Happy

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlimited Data-how to keep it and get a phone at subsidized price
AZSALUKI
Legend

yeah....just make sure you do everything correctly. this is exactly what i plan on doing. my wife has an upgrade that she could care less about (basic phone). so i'll upgrade hers to the phone i want, add the 2 gig individual data tier, activate it and then i'll activate it on my line, reactivate her current basic phone, and then drop the new data plan on her line.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Your forgetting the $30 upgrade fee. Don't forget you'll have to swap all the SIM card info over too.

You can be sure than in very short order than Verizon will stop this. It wouldn't shock me if they started making you keep a data plan for at least a month even if you switched the phone back right away. Or started charging a "switch fee".

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

they may start at some point, but you've been able to do this for years. i know there will be the $30 plus the cost of the phone, but it still beats paying $600-700 for the phone. and usually you can walk in to any verizon corporate store and they'll give you a new sim card.

0 Likes
Not applicable

AZSALUKI wrote:

they may start at some point, but you've been able to do this for years. i know there will be the $30 plus the cost of the phone, but it still beats paying $600-700 for the phone. and usually you can walk in to any verizon corporate store and they'll give you a new sim card.

Awesome, the nearest corporate store is 50 miles away from me. And just because you've been able to do something for years doesn't mean you can continue to d it. Verizon ultimately wants everyone off unlimited. They couldn't kill it off all at once without backlash so first they get rid of it for new customers and those who didn't have it already. Then they kill it off for those who have it but want to renew a contract with a discounted phone. Within the next year they'll come up with something else to get people off unlimited. But eventually they'll just kill it off for good.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

Brian68 wrote:

*snip*

. Within the next year they'll come up with something else to get people off unlimited. But eventually they'll just kill it off for good.

yes and we know they want to do that, but until then we are keeping it and using it

0 Likes
VZW_consumer
Contributor - Level 1

Brian68 wrote:
Awesome, the nearest corporate store is 50 miles away from me. And just because you've been able to do something for years doesn't mean you can continue to d it. Verizon ultimately wants everyone off unlimited. They couldn't kill it off all at once without backlash so first they get rid of it for new customers and those who didn't have it already. Then they kill it off for those who have it but want to renew a contract with a discounted phone. Within the next year they'll come up with something else to get people off unlimited. But eventually they'll just kill it off for good.

This has not happened yet for all customers.  But I'm sure there will be a plan to get them off once they decide to stop offering it.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

VZW_consumer wrote:

Brian68 wrote:

This has not happened yet for all customers.  But I'm sure there will be a plan to get them off once they decide to stop offering it.

actually it has, you can no longer keep it if you upgrade with a discounted phone

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

Brian68 wrote:

they'll weed all of us out eventually, but this gives me a way to get one more subsidized phone and keep unlimited data for at least 2 more years. 2 years from now, NOBODY will offer it anyway. it will be gone for good at some point, but i plan on keeping mine for as long as i can.

0 Likes
VZW_consumer
Contributor - Level 1

mdram4x4 wrote:

VZW_consumer wrote:

Brian68 wrote:

actually it has, you can no longer keep it if you upgrade with a discounted phone

That's what I keep hearing.  My own personal experience proves otherwise.  FYI: I have commented on this several times in other threads but my (and others) post's keep getting deleted.

0 Likes