Ripping DVD's to iPhone 4.......
tmenold

I am fairly new to ripping DVD's and was suggested to use Handbrake software.  I figured out Handbrake currently is not compatible with iPhone 4 (looks like some mods need to be done to some folder files to do this).  I recently tried Daniusoft and it's one you have to pay for, but I tried the free trial and it has a stupid watermark on the whole video.  Also the converted file was 1.7Gb.  To me that seems huge for a converted file for my iPhone.  I am hoping to find free software and know that I might forfeit qualty for this.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Ripping DVD's to iPhone 4.......
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

tmenold wrote:

I am fairly new to ripping DVD's and was suggested to use Handbrake software.  I figured out Handbrake currently is not compatible with iPhone 4 (looks like some mods need to be done to some folder files to do this).  I recently tried Daniusoft and it's one you have to pay for, but I tried the free trial and it has a stupid watermark on the whole video.  Also the converted file was 1.7Gb.  To me that seems huge for a converted file for my iPhone.  I am hoping to find free software and know that I might forfeit qualty for this.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Can't really help you with software but I will say that the file size for the movie doesn't sound huge. I just checked the sizes of the digital download movies I have that were "free" with the purchase of Blu-Ray/DVD combo packs and they are in that range. One specific movie (Sherlock Holmes) is 1.79 GB and 128 mins long.

0 Likes
miketech_79
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you can rip the video off some how (DVD Shrink, etc) then you can use Media Coder to encode as some iPhone supported format. I have encoded as H.264. From the web:

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Or you can get CinePlayer ($1) app that plays Divx/xvid avi movies that might be more compressed in size. You can also create divx/xvid movies with Media Coder.

0 Likes
pensfan0782
Contributor - Level 1

i used to rip all of my dvds (not really into it anymore)

but i swear by handbrake. you can adjust all the settings to how you want to rip it. it may not be 960x640, but it will look good. 

put it this way. i have a ton ripped at "ipod low res" and they looked fine on my iphone 4. the least you can do is either do ipod hi res or rip for ipod touch. im sure they would look a lot better. but again, im pretty sure you can sort through options and rip it a high quality for iphone 4

0 Likes