Re: Ringtones
rio_storm
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried that, it's still not showing it.  When I look at the info in iTunes, I'm seeing the file extension, but not seeing it anywhere in the music folder to change it.

Another thing, anyone have an issue with the Buy More Ringtones from your Settings - Ringtones section?  I click on Buy More Ringtones and nothing happens.  Bug maybe?

0 Likes
rio_storm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just want to say thanks for the replies, everyone.  I appreciate your time and input.  Sorry to be such a pain!!

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You need to make the extensions show in Windows, NOT in iTunes (unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying). It sounds like you are saying that when you locate the file on your computer in Windows Explorer the file extensions are not showing, but if you look in iTunes you can see the file extension. Untitled.jpg

If you're saying your file does not look like that when you locate it in Windows Explorer then you need to have your setting in the Windows folder to show file extensions. If you are seeing the extensions but you're trying to figure out how to actually change them, all you have to do is click on the file name as if you are trying to edit the name. Once the box opens to allow you to type in it, just go to the extension (in the pic I posted it's .mp3) and change it to .m4r. When you click "enter" a dialog box will pop up with asking if you sure you want to change it. Select "yes". Double click on it and it will start playing in iTunes. It should show in the Ringtones folder.

I admit I am getting a bit confused by the thread so you may have said that the tones are already showing in iTunes in the ringtone folder but they don't show on your iPhone. When you try to sync them, if they are too long then they will not sync to the iPhone. You will need to adjust the length of the tones.

If none of this is your issue then I apologize. If there is really an issue with your iPhone then it should be replaced under warranty. Not sure if the issue would be your iPhone or your computer. You could always try to uninstall iTunes and then re-install it to see if that is the issue but I'm not so sure that's what the problem is.

Sorry if the screen capture is too small...not sure why it came out so small.

0 Likes
rio_storm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Kaebfly,

No, you are understanding me right, and I thank you for your help.

This part is where I have the trouble:

"If you're saying your file does not look like that when you locate it in Windows Explorer then you need to have your setting in the Windows

folder to show file extensions. If you are seeing the extensions but

you're trying to figure out how to actually change them, all you have to do is click on the file name as if you are trying to edit the name.

Once the box opens to allow you to type in it, just go to the extension

(in the pic I posted it's .mp3) and change it to .m4r. When you click

"enter" a dialog box will pop up with asking if you sure you want to

change it. Select "yes". Double click on it and it will start playing in iTunes. It should show in the Ringtones folder."

I have the setting in Windows so that I can see the extension, but I'm not able to see or edit it.  When I try to change the file name, I don't see the extension to change it.

Also, my iPhone doesn't even have iTunes on it.  My sister's has a purple iTunes icon and I don't have it (she doesn't have the 4S, just the 4 though but still).  How in the hell could I just not have that?  And I don't know how to get it.  This is why I can't "Buy more ringtones" from my settings apparently!

Super frustrated at this point.  I guess another trip to Verizon or something is in order.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try phonezoo - it's free and has worked for many folks.  Google it.  (Or does phonezoo not work on iPhones?)

0 Likes
rio_storm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Will do, thanks!

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

As far as you not being able to actually see the extensions in Windows Explorer despite having it turned on...something odd is going on there. That would be associated with your computer operating system...which version of Windows are you using? Are you able to see file extensions of any other types of files (besides music)? You might need to go through the steps for turning that feature on again to make sure things are doing so. I use Windows 7 so the following link is about that and Vista if I'm not mistaken...but if you are using a different version you can find that on the same site...the steps may actually be the same.

As far as iTunes not showing on your phone...since it's a native app it's not one that users can delete...so it should be there. If you have any folders created to organize your apps check through them all to make sure it wasn't accidently put into one of them. If it's truly gone then maybe trying a complete restore would help...not sure. Ultimately, if it's missing then contacting Apple (maybe VZW) would be the best idea since I would assume that would be a warranty issue or at the very least something they can easily rectify since it's an app that you're not supposed to be able to delete, even if you want to. When you click on "Buy More Tones" what exactly happpens? Also...just to make sure...your iPhone hasn't been tampered with has it? Meaning, you haven't used jailbreaking on it...because if you have then that may have something to do with whatever issues you may be having directly with the phone. Also, just for curiosity sake (if it was mentioned before I apologize) do you have the latest iOS update? If not, try updating. Not sure if that will help but I know if you take it in to VZW or Apple that will be one of the things they will check.

0 Likes
rio_storm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi there,

I do have the latest update and my phone hasn't been tampered with - as far as I know.  I don't know what jailbreaking is, sorry.  I don't download much; just a few games and NFL and NHL apps.  I don't ever recall seeing the app on this phone since I bought it 3 or so weeks ago.  I looked at my sister's iPhone 4 yesterday and hers was there.  Mine isn't, and it's not in any folders I have.

When I click on Buy More Tones, nothing happens.  I see the blue flash when I click and that's it.  Showed my sister but she doesn't download ringtones or anything so she didn't know what was wrong.  I'll try going to Verizon first tomorrow night. 

Thanks again for ALL your help. 

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Hopefully they can figure out what's going on. I just noticed that I didn't add the link to the steps for making sure you can view file extensions in Windows so I'll add it now just in case you need it. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/show-or-hide-file-name-extensions

Also, after doing a quick search (I really couldn't find much) on missing iTunes app on iPhone 4s I found a thread in the Apple forums that gave a few suggestions to check. Since you said you checked and the app is not in a folder it's possible that you may have unintentionally done something in settings to "hide" it. I will post the particular response I saw that may also be a possibility:

Have you been playing around with Settings/General/Restrictions? If Restrictions are enabled the Apps or functions listed need to be turned "On" to show up in the touch's displays. If they are "Off" they will be removed from the menus.

Check your settings and make sure this isn't what happened. When I tested it I noticed that if I turned on Restrictions and turned off iTunes, the app "disappears". Once you turn it back on then the app returns.

0 Likes
rio_storm
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are a genius! The restriction was it. I put iTunes on and there was the app. Funny how at Verizon tonight he updated the phone but never mentioned this. Thank you again, everyone! I will try the ringtone again later!

-Rio

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes