Re: Ringtones
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I didn't visit the link provided so some of this may be mentioned in there. If the ringtone made or purchased is too long then it will not show in the ringtones list, but will show in the music list. This is assuming that you have done what is necessary to have appropriately labeled ringtones (with the .m4r extension so it is recognized by iTunes as a ringtone). I don't use ringtone apps nor have I purchased a ringtone for the iPhone (I make my own or convert previous tones I had made for my BB using iTunes to the correct extension to work with the iPhone) but in general it seems to be that the rules are the same for using ringtone apps to create tones...you have to sync with a computer to get the ringtones in iTunes before syncing them to your iPhone for use. It's possible that the apps still create ringtones that won't work on your iPhone if they allow the tone to be too long. This also happens with tones you wish to use for voicemail alerts (I have to adjust the length of some voicemail tones to make it show in the list of tones for voicemail).

For those having problems...have you checked to make sure the file extension is correct, even on the ones that were created using an app? That would usually be the reason why a created tone is not showing in the ringtones folder in iTunes. If the extension is not correct you can fix that yourself. If you use a PC then locate the tone in iTunes. Right click on it and select "Show in Windows Explorer" (if you're using something other than Windows then you may have to google how to locate a file for your OS). You should be able to see the file extension (if you can't, you need to turn on the option to view file extensions in folders http://support.microsoft.com/kb/865219). If the extension is not .m4r it should be .m4a. If it isn't then you need to convert the file to an AAC file in iTunes first, then locate it again. If it is .m4a, click on the title of the song to edit it. Change the "a" to a "r"...you will see a warning box popup. Click Ok/Yes and the extension will be changed. Double click on that file and it will begin to play in iTunes. It will also show up in the Ringtones folder. The file that was initially showing in the music folder will now show an exclamation point in iTunes because that file extentsion no longer exists. Not sure if any of this will help or if you all have already done this.

0 Likes
Pgabag
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't even get the ringtone folder to appear in iTunes after I sync. Once I can do that the rest will fall into place. I believe there needs to be a setting change on the phone or in iTunes for this happen? BG

<personal content deleted per TOS>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
rio_storm
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have done all these things noted, and the file extensions are correct.  Yet, I can see my ringtones in iTunes, can also see them in my ringtone app.  Yet, I cannot for the life of me see any of them in my Tones when I am in settings.  Why can't I actually make one of these tones my ringtone?  This is beyond annoying.  Any help is much appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Docgrant
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Rio. Ringtones on iDevices can be frustrating.  Once you get the drill down, though, it goes pretty smoothly.

Two questions, if I may - how did you obtain your Tones (e.g., self-made from existing Library, purchased, used an App ) and, secondly, did you synch your Device with iTunes.

This will, perhaps, help us understand how to help you. Thx.

0 Likes
Docgrant
Enthusiast - Level 3

Pga, check your Settings in iTunes to be sure Tones are checked for showing in your Music Library and for syncing.  In iTunes on the Menu Bar at the top go to "Edit", then "Preferences" then under "General Preferences" be sure "Tones" is checked.  Then, in iTunes once your iDevice is connected, click on your Device in the left panel and on the Menu under the apple at the top center "Tones" should be listed.  Click on "Tones" and make the "Synch Tones" box is checked and note which your preference is - "All" or "selected" ones.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
rio_storm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Doc,

Thank you so much for your help.  Sadly though, I was not able to get the tones into my phone.  I was able to see them in my iTunes music 'tones' folder, when synched, saw them in my device 'tones' folder also.  But in the device folder, they were grayed out and I couldn't click on them or anything.  After numerous calls to Verizon and Apple support last night, was told there must be a bug where the app (IOS Labs) is just not working with my phone and it won't recognize the files (and they were the correct file extension).  Ended up deleting that app and the tones.

So, one guy at Apple told me to make my own tones from my iTunes music.  I created the clip that I wanted from a song and the rest of his instructions weren't working out as well thus far, but I'll give it another whirl tonight.  If I can't make that a go, I'm done.  I'll stick to the boring pre-loaded tones. 

I don't have the patience to play with this for hours and hours to just get a ringtone I had on my old phone, but that's just me.  I literally only wanted one and it's been more of an ordeal than I expected.

Thanks for replying to me, appreciate it!

Rio 

0 Likes
Docgrant
Enthusiast - Level 3

Rio, I use these steps (see link, below) to make Ringtones.  Works well.  Hope it helps you resolve your issues with getting them to work on your Device.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2160460_custom-iphone-ringtones-free.html

Hope you get this or something to work for you.  Such a simple thing and yet made difficult by our "friends" at Apple.  I love my iDevices but they can be tricky to do "custom" things.  Good Luck!

0 Likes
rio_storm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, Doc...I'll give it a whirl!  Will let you know how it goes.

Rio

0 Likes
rio_storm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, so that's not really working for me either.  I'm on a Windows system.  I followed the directions, but when I get to my Music folder to rename the file, I don't even see the extension to make the edit.  I'm only given the option to actually rename the file, not rename the file extension.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

rio_storm wrote:

Ok, so that's not really working for me either.  I'm on a Windows system.  I followed the directions, but when I get to my Music folder to rename the file, I don't even see the extension to make the edit.  I'm only given the option to actually rename the file, not rename the file extension.

You need to change the folder options in the Windows File explorer to show Known Extensions. It is under the "View" tab in the "Folder Options" dialog.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes