Question for previous Droid owners - should I switch to the iPhone 4?
emilynicol2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I currently have the original Motorola Droid and like it well enough. I am eligible to get a new phone in a few months and wondering if I should switch to the iPhone 4.

Here are things I would miss on the Droid that the iPhone 4 doesn't have:

- Turn by turn Google Maps Navigation

- Physical keyboard

- Voice search and speech to text capabilities (or does the iPhone have this?)

For anyone out there that has made the switch, what are your thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Question for previous Droid owners - should I switch to the iPhone 4?
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I'll respond as someone who uses both Android phones and iPhone 4.  Mapquest 4 Mobile is a free iPhone app that has worked well enough when I needed it.  I think that some other forum posters may think that the Mapquest app is not all that great. 

The plethora of keyboard choices is why I use my Android phones more.  All of my phones are full touchscreen and I don't miss a physical keyboard.  But I certainly understand your preference for one.  If iOS offered word tracing keyboards like Swype, I would use the iPhone more for texting and Web purposes.

As far as speech to text, I am unaware of the iPhone doing that out of the box.  There may be apps that will perform those functions.  Can anyone else jump in on this one?  The voice recognition for voice dialing is superior on the iPhone, so if there were speech to text functions, I'm sure that they would work well.

0 Likes
parkernathan
Contributor - Level 2

I'm pretty sure one of the Dragon apps handles Speech-Text, and there's a few other apps that I believe does this as well. I know Voice Calling and Voice-iPod controls come standard.

0 Likes
NSesta1687
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am coming from the Motorola Droid also and switched to the iPhone.   All I can say is it's a world of difference..The iPhone is just an all around great phone compared to the Droid.   Switching from app to app is smoother.   It's easy to use, never freezes...no more "force close".   The battery life doesn't even compare.   Took the phone off the charger at 7:00 this morning and I am at 37 percent left and I use the phone!!  I have 22 hours of standby and 8 hours of talk time and it's not dead. 

My Droid's battery was a POS.   It was almost dead after a few Facebook visits and phone calls.

As far as I can see it, go for the iPhone...I can't imagine you'd be sorry!

0 Likes
skili112

What you are comparing is two totally different phones.  It's hard to say which one you will like better.  Personally, I didn't want an iPhone.  I refused to jump on that train. 

I started with a Tmobile G1.  I used to introduce it as "Tmobiles version on the iPhone" Not a fair statement because of the differences.  I have always felt that android was the lesser than version of the iPhone, though.  With that said... I was happy with it because it just wasn't Apple.

Switched to Verizon in October, got a Droid X.  I LOVED that phone (after coming from a Samsung Galaxy) and I had no complaints, other than size.  I felt like it was a man phone... with an otterbox on top of that... it was too much.  Got my daughter an iPod Touch for Christmas, loved the games and apps, loved the smooth touch and quick response.  I was hooked.  Fought it for as long as I could, but eventually caved.

I have never liked a phone as much as this one.  Considering I did like android and hated Apple, that says a lot.  But that's just my personal experience.  I got used to no keyboard... something I HAD to do with the Vibrant.  Started to love Swype... something I miss, but can do without. 

My moment where I knew I made the right choice... the day after I got my phone, I was talking to my husband about getting him a new grill... he said that he didn't feel like going store to store to look at them.  After a quick search, I downloaded the Home Depot app...  Flashed him my phone, and I said, "There's an app for that!" 

0 Likes
Shine702
I started with g1, then iPhone 3GS, droidx, my touch 4g, and an Evo, then finally Verizon iPhone 4. The only thing I really miss is adobe flash player.

What i dont miss on android
-I don't miss the turn by turn (drains batteries anyway),
-physical keyboard (I am fast on swype but I can out type it on an iPhone any day).
-the glitchiness of the android OS
-android market (app store apps are more polished I mean have u seen infinity blade???! Amazing game on a mobile phone)
-tired of my phone dying after 4-6 hours and that's during non use!! I know there's "app killers" that helps save battery but who has time to keep rekilling the same app that automatically runs after killing it 5 min ago?

0 Likes
nanna24
Contributor - Level 2

I went from the original droid to the Samsung Alias 2; then to the iPhone 4, and am now using the Droid X.  I still have the iPhone 4 and when I get bored with the Droid X, I'll switch back to the it.  I like both the iPhone and the Droid X, right now I'm liking the Droid X.  I keep the iphone in my handbag because of the superiority of its camera.  I agree with the poster that said the apps on the iphone are more polished.  For example, the app for craigslist on the iphone allows me to post ads from my phone but the app on the droid doesn't, at least I haven't found a way.

Honestly, I think you'd like the iphone but there might be things you'll miss about the droid.  Only you can decide whether or not to take the plunge.

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

Having had an Android phone, the number one thing for me is battery life.  The Verizon iPhone simply last longer.  I was lucky to go a whole day on my Android phone and compensated by plugging it in wherever possible (at work, in the car, wherever I had access to power).  In contrast, with the iPhone, I don't even worry about this anymore.  I can easily go 2 days (or more) without plugging in.

0 Likes
HazelEyedGemini
Enthusiast - Level 3

The only thing I don't like about the IPhone is there's no delivery conformation. If they fix that on the IPhone 5 (whenever it comes out) I'll buy it.

I did buy a battery pack for the Droid X. It's only 5 hours extra but it's a back up emergency.

0 Likes
kizzle53

HazelEyedGemini wrote:

The only thing I don't like about the IPhone is there's no delivery conformation. If they fix that on the IPhone 5 (whenever it comes out) I'll buy it.

I did buy a battery pack for the Droid X. It's only 5 hours extra but it's a back up emergency.

What do you mean by no delivery conformation?

0 Likes