Pix-Flix Usage
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

I recently signed up for text messaging to use with my iPhone 4. ( $5 for 250 texts msgs).  I used it this weekend and sent 4 texts to my kids and they responded for a total of 4 rec'd texts, 8 total. 

When I go online to check my account, it shows the 8 text msgs. but it also shows 9 of something called Pix-Flix for a total of 17 used  text msgs. against my allowance of 250. I did not send or receive anything called Pix-Flix. What is going on here ?

Thanks, richie

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Pix-Flix Usage
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

OK.  I have figured out part of the mystery and it is an iPhone thing. Proved it by trying it on my daughters iPhone and her husbands iPhone. Here's what I have found so far. If under "settings"  in "messages" you have "show subject field" turned on and send a message with text in the data field, the message is sent as an MMS pix/flix and not an SMS text.

richie

View solution in original post

0 Likes
galaxie500fb
Contributor - Level 2

As far as I know pix/flix are picture messages that are often sent to Verizon servers and are viewable online. 

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

I checked online and the folder is empty.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Did you upload any of the pics you took to Pix Place? That may be what happened...I haven't used Pix Place in years but if you ever signed up for it then you still have access to it. Really not sure if this is really the case but it's a guess.  You can also look at the addesses that the pix/flix messages  show on your account to see if you recognize them. You can view this in My Account by clicking on the usage details link under the section that shows how many messages you sent/rec'd.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Picture%20Messaging/faq_pixplace.html

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

I talked with a tech. rep. at VZW today for 30mins. He found the problem but was at a loss as to how to fix it and said it's more than likely an iPhone "thing". When you send a text msg. using an iPhone it not only goes out as an SMS (text) msg. but it also goes as an MMS (Multi Media) message and consequently counts as 2 msgs. against your monthly allowance. So he contacted billing for me and from now on they will only charge me for 1/2 of the text msg. count.

richie

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

The only way that would happen is if the texts you sent were longer than the standard text message (I thik it's either 140 or 260 characters). Since the iPhone (and some other devices) allow you to send long messages without having to start a new one each time what may appear to be one text on your end may in reality be 2 or more. So, what was explained to you by the rep seems to be wrong as far as it being an iPhone thing...it's not. You can turn the character count on in settings if you want to keep track of how long your messages are and if they will count as more than one when you send it. As far as what you were told about only being charged for half of the text message count...I would call back and verify this because if they did this it would in essence be allowing you to get double the text message allowance than anyone else on that same plan paying the same amount. You might get an unpleasant surprise on your bill if you go over your allowed message plan based on what could be incorrect info. Better to be safe than sorry.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

It's 160.  All of mine were less than 50. The tech rep. had me send him a two word text. It arrived as an SMS and a MMS msg.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

OK.  I have figured out part of the mystery and it is an iPhone thing. Proved it by trying it on my daughters iPhone and her husbands iPhone. Here's what I have found so far. If under "settings"  in "messages" you have "show subject field" turned on and send a message with text in the data field, the message is sent as an MMS pix/flix and not an SMS text.

richie

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
What does SMS/mms mean? Does that mean it will send both as SMS and mms ?
0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

richie72846 wrote:

richie

I just tried the same thing and did not have that occur. My message was not sent as both...I also tried it from my mothers iPhone and didn't get that. Maybe we're just lucky. I happen to have an unlimited text plan so it's not an issue for me even if it did occur, but my mother has an old $4.99 text plan. I did have to turn the "show subject field" on in settings for both phones to test it since in general we don't use the subject field for texting. If you're not actually using a subject for every text then you might want to turn it off. Plus, if you're using a subject field any text you put in that will count towards your 160 character limit for one text...although you stated you sent a 2 word text and it did the same thing. Again, not sure but you might consider turning that feature off in settings if you don't need it.

0 Likes