Out of Country Wifi/Data
Nicole1423

Ok so I am going to be going on vacation to Mexico and I wanted to be able to access my music/apps that use internet without having to pay for a global plan. If you use wifi does it count for data? Even if you are out of country? If not, is there a way you can get on a wifi network and turn off your data/3g so you can use your phone without being charged for messages/minutes? I really want to be able to skype my friends at home and use my apps instead of having to keep my phone off for a week. Please let me know! Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Out of Country Wifi/Data
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Turn on Airplane mode and leave it on.  This turns off the radios and will prevent accidental phone and data charges.  When in range of a wifi hotspot, turn the wifi radio on in the phone to connect to that hotspot.

FYI, a search of this community would have yielded similar questions asked and answered earlier.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Nicole1423

Sorry if this sounds stupid i've never had to use airplane mode before.... If i am in airplane mode can i still connect to a wifi network without charges? and what is a wifi radio?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Putting the phone in airplane mode turns it basically into a iPod touch.  The phone has several radios in to allow it access to those various networks, ie: CDMA (voice-cellular), EDVO (data-cellular), Bluetooth and WiFi.  In airplane mode you can turn the WiFi back on to access a WiFi network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes