New iPhone4 for $50 with no new contract?
lith07

Hello,

A friend of mine recently went into a verizon store to see about upgrading her phone.  She was 16 months into her 24 month contract, with a blackberry that she got when she signed on.

She told a verizon employee that she wants a new phone, so they checked out her account and told her she was eligable for an upgrade.  So she asked how much a new iPhone 4 would be, and they told her $50.  So long story short, she ended up with a brand new iPhone 4 for $50, and didn't even have to sign a new 2 year contract.

How did she manage this?!  I am also on verizon and have about 8 months left on my contract, and I would love to get a Thunderbolt for $50!

Anyone have any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New iPhone4 for $50 with no new contract?
budone
Legend

I seriously doubt it occurred.

Apple is so strict, with how their phone is sold, and at what price. Apple dictates it and VZW follows. VZW cant wiggle on price for that phone. I could see her having a $100 NE2 credit available so that would drop one to $99.

I would ask her to check her invoice to see when the contract ends.

0 Likes
lith07

I couldn't believe it either.  I checked her reciept and sure enough, $50, and she didn't sign any new contract, and her account doesn't show any change to her previous contract.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I doubt it happened, either, but it seems that you should go to that same store and ask for the same sales rep. Bring a copy of the invoice with you and ask for the same deal. Doesn't seem that there is any reason to wait, either. You should be eligible right now, it seems, since your friend was eligible after just 16 months.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
And let us know what happens...there has got to be more to the story than what's on the surface.

A CPO iPhone 4 goes for $149, with a $100 NE2 it would be $49 (but if she got a new phone 16 months ago she would not have a $100 NE2 to use, it would be $50 max). And it would also extend her contract.

Insurance replacement? Perhaps, but it would be the same model as she has (a BB) and would be more than $50.

There definitely has to be more to this, and I'm curious now ....
0 Likes
budone
Legend

I thought about this in between sleep and I wonder if the friend went to a reseller and the salesperson sold them their old phone. THAT I can see happen.

Let us know exactly which store this occurred and your luck.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

16 months? was you friend on an anual contract?

i forsee a large first bill in your friends future with alot of fees added on due to mistakes the salesperson made

0 Likes