New 4.2.9 Update.
AspiringPhD

I recently updated my iPhone to the new 4.2.9 software version. I must say I am disappointed the updated software is not 4.3 as it this new update still does not allow me to download certain apps on my phone because I do not have the 4.3 software version. Does anyone know what changes, if any, this new update will offer us?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New 4.2.9 Update.
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

AspiringPhD wrote:

I recently updated my iPhone to the new 4.2.9 software version. I must say I am disappointed the updated software is not 4.3 as it this new update still does not allow me to download certain apps on my phone because I do not have the 4.3 software version. Does anyone know what changes, if any, this new update will offer us?

Thanks.

Hi AspiringPhD,

I understand your discontent for not getting the 4.3 software update. Please be assured that Verizon Wireless will push out all software updates as soon as made available by manufacturer. For additional information about the iOS 4.2.9 please visit the link below:

About the security content of iOS 4.2.9 Software Update for iPhone

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

This is just a security update... whoop.   Fixes an obscure security flaw that even if not patched would likely not affect the vast majority of users.  Actually I'm surprised that Verizon is actually getting these sorts of updates.  The Verizon iPhone is sort of the black sheep of the iPhone world... just doesn't get the same love as it's GSM cousin and may NEVER be treated the same.  So don't expect to ever see iOS 4.3.  And don't expect to see iOS 5 either... at least not when the AT&T folks get it.  It may show up later... (and I know there is an iOS 5 beta out there for the CDMA iPhone... but that doesn't mean that Verizon will get it... that beta could be meant for Sprint!)  And finally don't expect the iPhone 5 (or 4s?) to be released to Verizon the same time as everyone else either.  Some opinions state that Verizon may not receive anything new until the 1 year anniversary of their receiving the iPhone 4... which means Feb 2012.  Me... well I'm not happy either in terms of all of this, but it is what it is.  Regardless, even though we're not as good as AT&T in terms of iPhones (and may never be), it's still one of the best (if not the best) phones available on Verizon (even if it's not 4G LTE).  So you have two choices... stick with Verizon and their conservative and VASTLY slower 'reliable' network, or go on the wild side and get the latest and greatest technology with AT&T on their 'FASTER' but POSSIBLY more prone to dropped calls network.  The choice is yours...  Good luck.

0 Likes
Michaelvzn
Contributor - Level 1

Please forgive my two cents worth on the op question and response,  currently I am unaware of when the "4.3" update will be released (I would hope it would be some time in the future, likewise with vers os 5)  speaking candidly, i could not see vzn being left behind forever........so i would assume its just a matter of time.

as for myself, i had vzn many many years ago, then cingular, then att, then tmobile (so ive come back to vzn for call quality)  I really was tired of dropped calls or the inability to make calls when thats what the device is first and foremost) a phone with data functionality (eliminating a netbook, notebook or a computer at times) to communicate with people.....gps (mapping is a great add on)

call me old fashioned, but if i am able to do these things i feel i have won the "cell phone war" that we all have with ourselves. If i can win that base line war to me having the most current os (which i really may not notice the true impact of change) or secondary application isnt that important (analogy neighbors new car / newer options)....

just a thought or another perspective.

0 Likes
pensfan0782
Contributor - Level 1

trust me... apple doesn't want this split betweent cdma and gsm anymore than we do. i'm sure they don't like the two different software versions out and we just have to be patient. yes, i feel the verizon iphone is getting the black sheep treatment, but we just have to be patient. i think they'll sort it out for the next phone. i do think we'll get ios 5 at the same time as att. 

0 Likes
Bertomuggs
Dbbrass, no offense but you should probably do some research before you reply to posts. I am an apple iOS developer and there is a iOS 5 beta for the the CDMA iPhone and CDMA iPad 2. The 4.2.9 security patch has nothing to do with Verizon. The GSM iPhone also got an update to 4.3.4. These updates are security patches to block the PDF exploit used by the jailbreakme.com jailbreak. The Verizon iPhone is not "the black sheep" of the iPhone community. It doesn't have the same software versions because it came out after 4.0 had already been released for the ATT iPhone but when iOS 5 comes out it will be for all iOS current iOS devices. So DO expect iOS 5 for the Verizon iPhone when it is released for ATT. Also the next gen iPhone WILL most likely be released for both ATT and Verizon. I currently have a Verizon iPhone and an ATT iPhone and I can tell you that I use my Verizon iPhone 90% of the time because it is more reliable. And as to statement that ATT data is faster, it doesn't really matter because it is faster when comparing both phones at full 3G service and ATT is rarely at full 3G service. Pretty much everything you said was unfounded and not accurate. That does not help these forums where people need real help. Please do not post anymore unless you do your research first.
0 Likes
Apple_girl00
Will the Verizon iPhone 4 get the IOS.5 update?
0 Likes
AspiringPhD

The question is will we get the IOS 5 update at the same time it's available to AT&T customers or will we be forced to wait?

0 Likes
AspiringPhD

Is the IOS5 Beta available for us regular folk?

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

No offense taken... However all of my posts are based on the many, many articles, blogs, whatever... in regards to Verizon, AT&T, iOS and the iPhone, that I have read over the last 5 months... and of course my opinion as well.  I'm not alone in assuming that anything is possible and until I see it, I'm not believing anything. And basically everything that I've said and everything that I've read out there is also technically unfounded as it's all theory and opinion until it actually happens.  So that means that everything that you stated is also unfounded unless you've got a crystal ball or are an Apple insider who's leaking confidential information.  And I know about the iOS 5 version beta builds and have also read the opinions of other developers who unlike you are not 100% sure of everything either. 

Like many others, I'm a little disappointed in the delays associated with Verizon receiving iOS updates.  And I know people with AT&T iPhones and where I'm located, I can tell you that their phones do have significantly faster 3G.  And they don't drop calls any more or less than I do.  But despite that, I'm sticking with Verizon...  (for a lot of reasons... the good still far out weighs the bad)

There are many opinions on this forum newbie (1 post).  We engage in all sorts of banter here, some good, some bad and some perhaps questionable, but never limited to simply 'support'.  I welcome criticism of my posts and I CAN provide links validating my opinion at least and certainly welcome you to do the same.  So if you can't take the heat over here, then perhaps you should consider not posting any more.  No offense...  (Seriously, I just felt I had to throw something back at you!)

:smileytongue:

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

Bertomuggs wrote:
Dbbrass, no offense but you should probably do some research before you reply to posts. I am an apple iOS developer and there is a iOS 5 beta for the the CDMA iPhone and CDMA iPad 2. The 4.2.9 security patch has nothing to do with Verizon. The GSM iPhone also got an update to 4.3.4. These updates are security patches to block the PDF exploit used by the jailbreakme.com jailbreak. The Verizon iPhone is not "the black sheep" of the iPhone community. It doesn't have the same software versions because it came out after 4.0 had already been released for the ATT iPhone but when iOS 5 comes out it will be for all iOS current iOS devices. So DO expect iOS 5 for the Verizon iPhone when it is released for ATT. Also the next gen iPhone WILL most likely be released for both ATT and Verizon. I currently have a Verizon iPhone and an ATT iPhone and I can tell you that I use my Verizon iPhone 90% of the time because it is more reliable. And as to statement that ATT data is faster, it doesn't really matter because it is faster when comparing both phones at full 3G service and ATT is rarely at full 3G service. Pretty much everything you said was unfounded and not accurate. That does not help these forums where people need real help. Please do not post anymore unless you do your research first.

I would like to point out that signal quality between AT&T and Verizon differes depending on location, Verizon's signal quality isn't always better everywhere

Around where I live, in some areas AT&T's signal quality is actually better than Verizon's, on a side by side comparison, I have actually seen the AT&T/GSM iPhone get better reception than the Verizon/CDMA iPhone, but like I said, this differes per location, so of course there are locations where Verizon has better signal quality than AT&T

0 Likes