Re: Need some help
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You can have different ringtones for different contacts but you can't create custom ringtones an use them as text tones (only as ringtones). The tones you can use for texts have to be one of the preloaded tones already available on the iPhone. This may or  may not change with future iOS updates...no one really knows.

0 Likes
HazelEyedGemini
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. That stinks.  I hope they change that.

0 Likes
dougie011
Contributor - Level 2
Most likely they won't change it. It has been that way since the very beginning since iPhones came out. If they were going to change, the would have done it long ago imo.
0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

dougie011 wrote:
Most likely they won't change it. It has been that way since the very beginning since iPhones came out. If they were going to change, the would have done it long ago imo.

If I'm not mistaken once upon a time you couldn't use custom ringtones at all on the iPhone (or something along those lines) so the possibility exists. It's all up to Apple if they feel the need to give the option. Personally I would be happier if they allowed any form of change to the fixed alerts (voicemail and email for example). It's not a deal breaker but it would be nice if I could choose something that fits my needs a little better than the fixed tone. If Apple changes it, great. If they don't it's not that serious (to me). I just hope for the best and enjoy what it offers now.

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

Actually... supposedly iOS 5 contains changes in regards to alerts, thus responding to the requests of the masses out there in regards to this... just a rumor though!  We should know more next month when the WWDC happens.

0 Likes
dougie011
Contributor - Level 2
I hope you are right about an update to allow for alerts tones to be customized. If they do great, but I am not getting my hopes up. I can use the tones preinstalled, don't really like any of them, but I can use them.
0 Likes
HazelEyedGemini
Enthusiast - Level 3

I thought there was no convention (or whatever they call it when they release new phones)

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

HazelEyedGemini wrote:

I thought there was no convention (or whatever they call it when they release new phones)

My understanding is that there is not one to announce new products. It is about iOS and other developments. http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/03/28wwdc.html

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks 

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello again,

I've owned several Droids and the battery life does vary from model to model. On average, you can expect to get a day's worth of usage on each model Droid. The major factors in battery usage is apps and widgets running I the background or on it's own. Also, data services usage uses more battery power than voice service. Some examples are web browsing, uploading, downloading, playing music, etc. Here is the path to access your battery usage and some tips to ensure that you get the most out of your battery.

To access Battery Use:
From the home screen, touch Menu > Settings > About Phone > Battery use

Tips to extend battery life:

Select a shorter backlight duration
Lower the display brightness
Turn Bluetooth off when not in use
Turn Wi-Fi off when not in use
Close any third party applications running in the background

Hope this helps...

0 Likes