Is the iPhone4 Family Locator capable?
ricrac123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Anyone know if the iPhone4 is Family Locator capable?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is the iPhone4 Family Locator capable?
ricrac123
Enthusiast - Level 3
Yes, you're correct, the iPhone is NOT family locator capable, but I was able to solve the problem. You see, I'm on the Family Share 700 Talk & Text plan & my iPhone was the primary number on my account. So I moved my iPhone onto an idividual plan and made one of the other existing lines on my family share plan, the primary number. This solved everything. Since there's a new primary number as the 'Locator' (as opposed to the 'Locatee's") on the service, I'm now able to utilize the iPhone to access the locator service on the Web and through that way I can locate any of the phones on the family share plan. Works great! Rick R

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Gail0421
Enthusiast - Level 3

That information is not available at this time. When information becomes available we will pass it along. Click the link below to view frequently asked questions about the iphone

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/iphone/iphone_faq.html

0 Likes
zogduke

Whoa!!!

The most advanced phone available with amazing GPS and it has fewer GPS features?

Hope an app is coming soon.

Any word on when?

0 Likes
Redwood_Empire

Well you can use find my iphone. Thats what Im using and it works, you can find any of your iphones from any computer, iphone or Ipad and it seem to works very well. I'm not really sure what family locator can do but you might look into trying out find my iphone.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

zogduke wrote:

Whoa!!!

The most advanced phone available with amazing GPS and it has fewer GPS features?

Hope an app is coming soon.

Any word on when?

a) it's not really the most advanced phone available. 

b) i'm sure there are comparable apps (like the one mentioned above). the problem is that apple has to approve EVERYTHING in it's app store. i suspect that down the road they may approve verizon's family locator....but only if verizon wants to deal with developing the app to meet apple's specs and approval. you will run into the same problem with some other excusive verizon products, like the NFL app. other smartphones can get this (on verizon's network...exclusive to verizon), but right now the iphone can't. it is basically the nfl network channel on your phone (you get their televised games, the nfl redzone channle, plus the nbc sunday night games and their other regular shceduled programing). the problem with verizon exclusive products is that apple has to approve of them before they will allow them on the iphone. 

0 Likes
brassbell

brassbalz here (although my real name is Zogduke) -- forum won't let me log in under my original name... huh, a verizon website problem...shocking.

Of course you are right... the iPhone isn't the most advanced technology.... sarcasm is lost on some.

So many more features that are lacking on the iPhone -- My Rhapsody app. was downgraded to allowing only one authorized device after getting the iPhone. What crap.

0 Likes
otterdriver

No, it  won't work with the Iphone yet.  I bought an Iphone 32using the advance reserve purchase program.  I got the phone and 12 hours later received notice that my family locator service of 5 years had been canceled.  I spent a lot of time on the phone with customer service and eventually it became clear that if your primary account number was an Iphone you could not have family locator period!  I'm sure it's a software issue "switch" in the Verizon system but no one could say where, when or if it would be changed.  It's a shame, I loved the phone but I sent it back.  Verizon to their credit waived the restocking fee.  Evidence they know they have a problem.  I got a Droid 2 global and it works fine.  RR

0 Likes
ricrac123
Enthusiast - Level 3
Yes, you're correct, the iPhone is NOT family locator capable, but I was able to solve the problem. You see, I'm on the Family Share 700 Talk & Text plan & my iPhone was the primary number on my account. So I moved my iPhone onto an idividual plan and made one of the other existing lines on my family share plan, the primary number. This solved everything. Since there's a new primary number as the 'Locator' (as opposed to the 'Locatee's") on the service, I'm now able to utilize the iPhone to access the locator service on the Web and through that way I can locate any of the phones on the family share plan. Works great! Rick R
0 Likes
anulen

RICRAC

I understand you are able to view the family locator through the browser/internet on your phone, but do you get notifications sent to your phone? For example, when the locatee has arrived or departed from an assigned location you receive a text message or email?

0 Likes
ricrac123
Enthusiast - Level 3
Anulen,

Though I am able to view the locations of my kids phones, I'm unable to receive notifications via text or email.
But it is better than nothing and verifying their locations has always been of paramount importance to me.

0 Likes