Info for Signature Require UPS delivery
china_cat84
Contributor - Level 1

This is for those of you who won't be around when your phone is scheduled for delivery.

I just spoke to a CSR rep for UPS - which took awhile, everytime I've tried to call in the automated voice says that they can't take my call at the moment and to call back later. I finally got through and this is what the CSR told me.

1) For those who live in apartment complexes - UPS can deliver your package to your complex manager or secretary, as long as they are physically there and able to sign for it.

2) Your neighbors can sign for the package as well (whether you live in an apartment or house) but it's somewhat discouraged unless you know your neighbor very well. Use your common sense.

3) If none of the above work for you, you will have to wait until the driver leaves you an infonotice - the little gold and brown form stuck to your door. Once you receive it, call UPS ASAP. They can then arrange for you to pick up your package the same day or possibly have the driver redeliver - usually, the driver won't be able to redeliver though.

It was made very clear that they driver will NOT be able to leave the package at your house without a person physically signing for it. I have had drivers do this before, even though it was a signature required package, but the CSR told me that for this particular package the drivers have all been instructed that they must have a person sign - a note or release form will NOT be good enough. Verizon must have been pretty adamant about needing the signature. That being said, there are probably a few drivers out there who would accept a note or forge your signature, but I wouldn't count on it. My problem is that I need the package delivered or picked up on Monday as my schedule for the rest of the week is even worse and I won't be home until after residential deliveries end for the day.

Anyway, I hope this helped someone - not trying to burst any bubbles, I just wanted to share what I learned so no one has any problems.

Labels (1)
Re: Info for Signature Require UPS delivery
Rbethell11
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is false - UPS, under no circumstance, is required to take instructions from Verizon. A door note is 100% acceptable

0 Likes
solohe

Rbethell11 wrote:

This is false - UPS, under no circumstance, is required to take instructions from Verizon. A door note is 100% acceptable

Correct--there was another thread about leaving a note, go to the UPS website it has your options when signature is required and one of them is to leave a note for the driver.

0 Likes
china_cat84
Contributor - Level 1

This is what the UPS website says:

• Leave a note for your driver asking him to leave your shipment in a safe designated place.
  • If a signature is required, have the shipment delivered to a neighbor who will be available.

Found here: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/start/delivery.html?srch_pos=4&srch_phr=signature+require...

Meaning, that someone MUST be there to sign for the package. Like I said, I called UPS and that's what they told me. If a package is "Signature Required", the extra coverage is purchased by the sender and overrides any release forms and legally the driver is required to obtain a signature from an authorized party. Not all drivers do, but you can't always count on that.

0 Likes
JJMinc

Also, if you ordered directly from Apple, you can pre-sign for your shipment online. You'll print out a form and attach it to your door and UPS will collect this form in place of an in-person signature. But while it is correct UPS isn't required to take instructions from Verizon, they WILL NOT leave a package labeled "required signature" without either a physical signature or a pre-authorization notice that they can take with them.

0 Likes
china_cat84
Contributor - Level 1

I'm not trying to make people irritated, I'm just trying to help out and help people be prepared. I thought that leaving a note would suffice but after talking to the CSR, I'm not so sure. I'm going to leave a note, but at least I'll know what to do if the note doesn't work. It would really suck to believe that a note is good enough and then come home on Monday and find out that it wasn't and you have to wait even longer...anyway, this is just what I was told and I'm keeping it in mind just in case.

0 Likes
china_cat84
Contributor - Level 1

JJMinc wrote:

Also, if you ordered directly from Apple, you can pre-sign for your shipment online. You'll print out a form and attach it to your door and UPS will collect this form in place of an in-person signature. But while it is correct UPS isn't required to take instructions from Verizon, they WILL NOT leave a package labeled "required signature" without either a physical signature or a pre-authorization notice that they can take with them.

I ordered mine from Verizon, not Apple, so I can't be 100% sure when I say this, but doesn't Apple ship via FedEx? And I've heard from AT&T people that FedEx didn't always accept the release form for the AT&T iPhones, so they may not always accept it for the Verizon ones either.

The CSR never said anything about pre-authoization notices...she just said that besides having a neighbor sign or being there yourself, there's nothing you can do until after you get an infonotice. Leaving a note won't hurt, but it's no guarantee. If it was the possibility of YOUR job on the line, would you leave it?

0 Likes
Rbethell11
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have left many door notes for UPS - all have worked. Please stop spreading information based off reps - they have been wrong about EVERYTHING - from retail price to pre orders to delivery date to shipping information. A door note will work - I have done it in the past with UPS. UPS also, once again, is not required under any circumstance to take instruction from Verizon. They are their own company.

And please stop it with all this, "if it was your job on the line". Call ups up right now, ask em if they accept door notes. If a door note states that they will take full responsibility for the package, and has a signature, they are REQUIRED to take it. Now please, stop with this false information and these irrational hypotheticals

0 Likes
JJMinc

china_cat84 wrote:

JJMinc wrote:

I ordered mine from Verizon, not Apple, so I can't be 100% sure when I say this, but doesn't Apple ship via FedEx? And I've heard from AT&T people that FedEx didn't always accept the release form for the AT&T iPhones, so they may not always accept it for the Verizon ones either.

The CSR never said anything about pre-authoization notices...she just said that besides having a neighbor sign or being there yourself, there's nothing you can do until after you get an infonotice. Leaving a note won't hurt, but it's no guarantee. If it was the possibility of YOUR job on the line, would you leave it?

Mine is coming via UPS and I ordered from Apple. It is possible they are using both couriers, though. And while I'm very familiar with UPS, I don't know too much about FedEx. It may be true they won't accept pre-auth notes. I work in logistics and my UPS preferred account rep did say these pre-auth forms are to be considered a signature by the driver as long as the driver can retrieve it and take it back to the hub. The one downside is, if your phone was damaged during shipment, notes and pre-auth forms mean you can't file a claim. Just a thought.

0 Likes
china_cat84
Contributor - Level 1

I'm not spreading false hypotheticals - UPS takes door notes, on items that aren't SIGNATURE REQUIRED. They get signatures on all their packages to show that they have delivered them, but if the packages aren't signature required they can accept a door note or leave the package. When a sender purchases the extra Signature Required service, UPS is required to physically obtain a signature.

And I didn't get this part from a CSR, I called my friend who is a driver. So stop being a jerk and accusing me of spreading hysteria when I'm only trying to help.

0 Likes