IOS 5 Upgrade--lost contacts
gcombstrek

I did my IOS 5 upgrade after a backup and lost all my e-mails, texts, calendar items, and most importantly my contacts! I'm a newbie to iPhones so don't know if I should just do a restore or if there is something else I should do. I can't remember 1/2 of the contacts I entered. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: IOS 5 Upgrade--lost contacts
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If you did a backup prior to upgrading you should be able to restore your iPhone from that backup. Have you tried doing this?

0 Likes
gcombstrek67

Yes I did try that but iTunes says I couldn't restore because the "backup failed". I didn't know it failed.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Setup icloud through your computer.  Then sync your computer to iCloud.  From there setup icloud on your iPhone.  

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Tidbits wrote:

Setup icloud through your computer.  Then sync your computer to iCloud.  From there setup icloud on your iPhone.  

That will help them in the future (or if they have their contacts on their computer in Outlook or some other program) but if they are truly lost and their backup failed then they may not have any options. Did you (the OP) only have one backup available in iTunes?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

If their backup included their contacts then Outlook should have their contacts.  

If they do not have outlook(windows 7).

Then they need to hit start

in the search for programs and files type in contacts.

then tap on the export button.

from there he can import them to iCloud from the browser.

There is also a "control panel" for iCloud which should do the above for you. Click here just set it up.  It only works for Outlook currently.

The one thing that amazes me...  The control panel works for outlook, but not windows contacts, but iTunes works with Windows contacts or outlook... Go figure...

0 Likes
gcombstrek67

Yep as far as I know only the one backup. There isn't an option for other backups. Didn't have the Cloud set up yet. Lost all the contacts that I directly entered into the iPhone.

0 Likes
eagleboy33

I still use "VZ Contact Transfer" which is a Verizon only contact information backup utility. Available in the "app store". Now gives option to back up in the cloud also. Did not lose contacts during OS 5 upgrade.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

gcombstrek67 wrote:

Yep as far as I know only the one backup. There isn't an option for other backups. Didn't have the Cloud set up yet. Lost all the contacts that I directly entered into the iPhone.

I wasn't sure if you had 2 backups or not. I have 2 for my iPhone and 2 for the other iPhone on my account. iTunes (for whatever reason) retained the 1st initial back up created when I first synced the phone and the most recent one. If I were to use the 1st one it would have most of my contacts but none of the ones added since February. That is why I asked if you had only one backup.

0 Likes