IOS 4.3 update for at&t only?
AZSALUKI
Legend

i'm hearing from the big apple event today that the iOS 4.3 update is only going to be for the gsm iphone (at&t). so what does this mean for cdma iphone? different OS updates at different times? maybe launching new iphones on different schedules? anyone know anything about this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: IOS 4.3 update for at&t only?
medic2joey
Contributor - Level 2

From what I understand is ATT 4.3 update is the same as our 4.2.6 update. It will only add wifi hotspot for ATT which we already have.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

what ios is fragmenting? omg the sky is falling! :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
medic2joey
Contributor - Level 2

Well I just checked engadget and I stand corrected. There is other new stuff added to 4.3 that we won't get.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

this wont help verizon sales. i'd assume it would come to verizon shortly, but it's not like apple to do it in this manner. 

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

remember its not up to verizon, apple controls this

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

According to the info on Apple's site the only extras that 4.3 is getting in relation to the iPhone is the Personal HotSpot and Nitro Java...and iTunes Home Sharing. It's possible that there will be an update for the CDMA version at some point to give us the faster Java and iTunes Sharing...or it's a hint that the iPhone 5 that so many are convinced is coming to VZ isn't. Newer iOs is usually a good sign that something new is on the horizon (besides the iPad 2). I am still willing to bet that we won't see a 5 this year on VZ...but I don't doubt that a new one is going to come out. Either the assumed 5 or the rumored cheaper/smaller one (think it was being called a iPhone Nano). At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. Eventually, we'll get an update that gives us a little something extra...likely the Java and home sharing.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
I still say the next version for Verizon will not happen until next year. Just because there is a delay on Verizon update doesn't mean a new phone is coming out anytime soon. One could say why not delay 4.3 and call it 5.0 and release it when the next iPhone comes out. That's basically what you are implying when it comes to Verizon. Also Apple isn't dumb enough to BUILD and distribute for 3 months just to scrap most of them in place of a new device in June. They would have NEVER released the 4 if the 5 was just a few months away. That would be wasted resources.
0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Tidbits wrote:
I still say the next version for Verizon will not happen until next year. Just because there is a delay on Verizon update doesn't mean a new phone is coming out anytime soon. One could say why not delay 4.3 and call it 5.0 and release it when the next iPhone comes out. That's basically what you are implying when it comes to Verizon. Also Apple isn't dumb enough to BUILD and distribute for 3 months just to scrap most of them in place of a new device in June. They would have NEVER released the 4 if the 5 was just a few months away. That would be wasted resources.

I agree...it won't likely come out for VZ this year. IF one comes out it will likely be for AT&T...or the version rumored to be a "cheaper" version maybe. Either way...all I notice with iOS updates is that it usually signals something new on the horizon...it very well could just be the iPad 2 that has sparked it. Or, Apple could shock everyone that assumes they will follow the usual pattern...and not release anything else this year except maybe updated iPod lines in the Fall. We will all see when ever Apple let's us. The rest is just stressing over rumors.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
So true. I am just going by Apple's trend. When they release something they always release their next version usually the same month as the previous, or within a month of that date. One think that makes me wonder and no one mentions. Is AT&T not going to sell the iPhone anymore. What if Verizon locked the iPhone and this year AT&T won't release an iPhone and every February Verizon gets one.
0 Likes