How to activate used iPhone ?
cgilliam

I haven't yet but am looking to purchase a used Verizon iPhone from a buy and sell meet. I need details on how to activate it so I can make sure the phone is clear to be activated. Can I call *228 and do it directly like any other phone? I already have a data plan so that isn't going to be a problem.  I just want to make sure I don't get scammed.  Can anyone help me?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How to activate used iPhone ?
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

The iPhone is tricky this way in that it doesn't have a removable battery - which means you cannot readily find an ESN to call Verizon with and check.

I'm not completely familiar with the iPhone 4 but hopefully someone else will chime in and answer whether or not there is a way to get the ESN or something similar from the iPhone.

I can tell you, however, that it has to be activated through iTunes. I don't believe the *228 method works for it.

0 Likes
xSuperGirlx

I just bought the iPhone from someone off of Craigslist.

While they waited, I dialed *228, and the prompt asked me to enter my phone number and account password, and VOILA! The phone was activated. Make sure you have whatever you need deleted off your old phone first.

0 Likes
cgilliam

Thank you so much!! That's what I needed to know!!

0 Likes
JaySean
Contributor - Level 1

cgilliam wrote:

I haven't yet but am looking to purchase a used Verizon iPhone from a buy and sell meet. I need details on how to activate it so I can make sure the phone is clear to be activated. Can I call *228 and do it directly like any other phone? I already have a data plan so that isn't going to be a problem.  I just want to make sure I don't get scammed.  Can anyone help me?

The phone will work, all you need to do is plug it into iTunes and follow the on screen instructions.

Then dial the *228 option 1 to program the phone to the network

Re dial *228 option 2 to update your signal

Cheers!

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If you want extra verification that the phone is clear you can get the MEID and the Serial Number directly off of the phone and call Verizon so they can verify that the phone is clear. Just go to Settings -->General -->About and then scroll down to see the info needed.

0 Likes
lovexosumer

I read how you only did *228 and only needed your account password and phone number. Did you need to go on itunes before, after, or not at all to finish or begin the activation process? I wanted to know, because i'm getting one off craigslist, and want to be able to just know how to do it.

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Lovexosumer,

An iTunes activation is needed only the first time that the iPhone is used. Since this iPhone has already been activated using iTunes, to activate the device, please first make sure that the device you are using is turned off. Please also note that you will lose any voice mails you have saved in your voice mail, since the iPhone uses a different voice mail platform. 

When you are ready, please dial *228 and SEND from the iPhone and press option 1 to activate. Then follow the prompts to complete the activation. 

You can also make this change online. Below I have provided you with the steps:

1. Sign in to My Verizon Express at http://www.vzw.com.

2. Under the Device column, select Activate a Device.

3. Select which device to change, if a multi-line account.

4. Enter the ESN/MEID of the new device in the appropriate field.

5. Select Next.

• TheReview Your Changes screen displays.

6. Select Next.

7. Select Continue.

8. Select the features for the new device by selecting the drop down arrows to view the options.

9. Select Next.

10. Select Submit.

Note:  The customer must dial *228/option 1 to complete the activation.

Thank you for your posting and have a good weekend!

0 Likes