Help deciding between iPhone and iPod Touch
shoekazoo

I am trying whether to buy and iphone or ipod touch.  The main problem with my situation is that I spend 4 months on a cruise ship (so I'm hardly ever in the US) and then spend a couple months on land.  I am currently on my family's plan: NATIONWIDE TALK & TEXT FAMILY SHARE and am eligible for a phone upgrade.  So I guess my main question is if I can just enable the data plan when I'm on land and suspend the data plan on my line when I'm at sea.  Also, are there any major differences between the two devices besides the iPhones ability to use the 3G network and connect anywhere?  Thanks for your help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help deciding between iPhone and iPod Touch
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

You cannot suspend the data plan. You must have it if you are using any smartphone, including the iPhone 4. It sounds like you just want an iPod Touch. The main difference is, one can make calls and the other can't.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

You cannot suspend the data plan. You must have it if you are using any smartphone, including the iPhone 4. It sounds like you just want an iPod Touch. The main difference is, one can make calls and the other can't.

0 Likes
xlost6
Contributor - Level 1
Yes, the iPod Touch fits your needs considering you make frequent trips outside the U.S. It would be pointless to get a iPhone and not be in a coverage area like the U.S. Just saying...
0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

FYI, if you get one of the latest iPod Touch models you can make FaceTime calls on it as long as you have access to WiFi. You can also use other services that allow you to text and do voice calls on it (granted you must have a headset with a mic like the one that comes provided or one of the many others out there. I personally use the Bose M2 mobile model so I can hear my music is amazing clarity and do calls using the apps on my Touch....I also use the Bose on my iPhone...I'm just not willing to give up my iPod Touch just yet unless someone really wants it. Then I might be willing to sell it. I think my issue us more the fact that my Touch is 64 GB and the iPhone only has 32 GB as the largest for now. I like having movies loaded just in case I'm gone for long so until I figure out how to consolidate what I want most on my iPhone then I am that person that takes both with me,

An option you could consider is if you truly want the iPhone you can still get it and then switch to a feature phone that doesn;t require a data plan. Not sure if that would be cost effective for you but it's an option.

0 Likes