Global Data Plan not working in Germany
xingu13

Hi - just arrived in Germany, and before I left, I added Global Data to my plan, and activated it according to the directions I was given by Verizon.  But now I'm here,and I can only get internet access via Wi-Fi.  Is there some step that I'm missing?  I'm hoping it's not that my phone isn't capable of doing this, because Verizon should have told me that before charging me for a feature I would never be able to use.  Can anyone help me out with this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Global Data Plan not working in Germany
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello xingu13!

I know its frustrating being left without a phone while traveling internationally! Lets make sure this is working for you. Do you have the original iPhone 4? That particular model is not GSM compatible which is required for use in Germany. The iPhone 4S and 5 are both GSM capable devices. I apologize if this was not advised before leaving on your trip. If you do have the 4S or 5, then its likely a simple fix that our International Travel team is happy to help with. You can contact them at 908-559-4899. Keep me posted if you need additional assistance.

Thanks!
AdamE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Gypsyfish

I'm having the same problem FOR THE THIRD TIME.  The last two times, I was able to email Verizon, someone called me back and activated the phone. This time I'm getting the same response you're getting- that I somehow have to access a landline and figure out how to call them. This is ridiculous!  The whole point of paying for Global service is NOT to have to deal with landlines! I've been stranded in airports 3 times with no way to contact the people who were supposed to meet me.

0 Likes
Gypsyfish

Nonsense. We're paying for the plan. You should contact US.  With T-mobile, I didn't have to pay anything for international access, and it always worked.

0 Likes
Gypsyfish

Xingu-- power it down by holding down the off button.  Wait a minute, then turn it back on. I just did that, and it found the service. I don't know why the support people can't tell us that.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good evening Gypsyfish.

Now, this has gone on for three times too many. I want you up and running no matter where you are so let's make it happen.

Given that you're abroad, we do recommend you contact our global service department. But, if a landline isn't available, we can work right here. So, which model device do you own? Which country or countries are you traveling in? Did you activate a global data/voice plan before you left? Here to help.

EvanO_VZW

0 Likes
BocceBill

I have been having the same issue for 2 days in Berlin.  I purchased the international data plan, but I can only access the internet on WiFi.  I have iPhone 4 model MC676LL. 

very frustrating since none of the apps work except in the hotel!!!

0 Likes
Lynnatthelake

I am in Germany and purchased the Global Data Plan and I can't text. Based on these comments, this has been an issue for 2 years now. Why do you continue to take people's money for a plan that you know won't work?  If you have fixed this issue, what do I need to do to be able to use my Samsung 4 in Germany using the Global Data Plan for which I have paid?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
We certainly want to keep you connected while so far from home, Lynnatthelake! Are other services like calls and data working? What happens when you try to send a text? Please keep in mind you are using another carriers network that we do not have control over and service may be limited.

YaleK_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes