Fixing the equipment
Teppers82
I recently broke my I phone 4 and went to a Verizon store to see about getting it fixed. I was told that Verizon can't fix my phone nut they would b happy to get me a refurbished phone for a 169.99 deductible. I paid $200 for my phone( understanding that that was a promo with new activation) However, I find it ridicule that, first, it costs that much for a phone to be replaced and second, that Verizon can't fix a phone they sell. How does that speak fir your company when you can't fix something you sell? Now on the good side there was one sales man who was helping me who was polite and considerate even though I wasn't probably the best customer he had that day, but while I was dealing with this nice gentleman the other associate next to him who was listening to our conversation decides to interior me! And be a smart a** about the question I was asking. His rude comments sent me over board and I walked out!! I may have decided to pay your ridiculous prices if I wasn't treated like an idiot! Thanks Verizon for selling equipment you can't fix and for hiring rude employees that only are nice when your buying something! I wish someone had some courtesy!!!!!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fixing the equipment
Not applicable

Thanks community for your input!

Teppers82,

I understand your frustration over having a broken iPhone and wanting it fixed. We cover the warranty on phones if there is any manufacturer's defect.  Insurance covers phones that are lost, stolen or damaged. If you choose not to use insurance you can also contact Apple directly and send the phone to them or go into an Apple store. We do not manufacturer cellular phones, we provide wireless service and offer phones at discounted rates so you can use that service.  Anything that requires taking the phone apart or fixing hardware is best handled by a certified Apple technician. You can contact Apple at 800-275-2273 or at www.apple.com. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

As long as you are in a contract you can expect to pay full retail for a replacement phone IF you didn't opt into the insurance plan (full retail would be significantly higher than the amount you were provided for a refurb). If you do have the insurance plan than you should expect to pay the deductible amount ($169 for the 16GB and $199 for the 32GB if I remember correctly). Although it's not fun to have to pay close to the amount you paid when you purchased the new iPhone the lower price is much better than paying $649/$749. On that portion of your complaint you were not wronged. As far as the way the rep acted in the store...if they were truly rude to you then you should complain to the store manager about that particular rep. As far as VZW being able to fix the iPhone...there actually may be other phones that they carry and do not fix directly. T-Mobile for example doesn't directly fix several of their phones. If there is a problem they give you a loaner and send the broken phone off for repair. In the case of the iPhone, Apple handles repairs while under warranty or the warranty is voided if I'm not mistaken so that is likely why VZW doesn't do the repairs themselves. Besides, I personally would feel more comfortable with Apple repairing my phone since they made it and would be better equipped to handle more serious and complicated repairs...that's my personal view.

You didn't say what exactly was broken or if you have the insurance plan, but if the issue is something covered under warranty you can contact Apple or go to an Apple store and they will fix the issue. In some cases, people have been able to get non-covered repairs done as a good-will gesture (such as a broken screen) but there is no guarantee it will be done.

0 Likes
nismos14
Contributor - Level 1

Teppers82 wrote:
I recently broke my I phone 4 and went to a Verizon store to see about getting it fixed. I was told that Verizon can't fix my phone nut they would b happy to get me a refurbished phone for a 169.99 deductible. I paid $200 for my phone( understanding that that was a promo with new activation) However, I find it ridicule that, first, it costs that much for a phone to be replaced and second, that Verizon can't fix a phone they sell. How does that speak fir your company when you can't fix something you sell? Now on the good side there was one sales man who was helping me who was polite and considerate even though I wasn't probably the best customer he had that day, but while I was dealing with this nice gentleman the other associate next to him who was listening to our conversation decides to interior me! And be a smart a** about the question I was asking. His rude comments sent me over board and I walked out!! I may have decided to pay your ridiculous prices if I wasn't treated like an idiot! Thanks Verizon for selling equipment you can't fix and for hiring rude employees that only are nice when your buying something! I wish someone had some courtesy!!!!!

I guess you don't understand how most businesses run? They are not in it to lose money, but they will sometimes. If you had insurance, everything was detailed in it that told you how much you'd have to pay to replace it and what is/is not covered.

Next, most businesses only re-sale products they purchase from other parties, if you want someone to fix the phone you broke, take it to Apple, they are the manufacturer. No carrier I know of fixes the phones they sell, worst case, they take back the broken phone, replace it with a refurb or your selected option with money out of pocket, and then send it back to the manufacturer for refurbishing. How on earth does it make sense for the retailer to fix the phone is beyond me, I think you have the wrong expectations from Verizon.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks community for your input!

Teppers82,

I understand your frustration over having a broken iPhone and wanting it fixed. We cover the warranty on phones if there is any manufacturer's defect.  Insurance covers phones that are lost, stolen or damaged. If you choose not to use insurance you can also contact Apple directly and send the phone to them or go into an Apple store. We do not manufacturer cellular phones, we provide wireless service and offer phones at discounted rates so you can use that service.  Anything that requires taking the phone apart or fixing hardware is best handled by a certified Apple technician. You can contact Apple at 800-275-2273 or at www.apple.com. 

0 Likes