Find My iPhone App...
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

It says    >>If you misplace your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, the Find My iPhone app will let you use another iOS device to find it and protect your data<<

In other words I need to own two iphones or an ipad or a MAC computer, or I'm out of luck.  Correct ?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Find My iPhone App...
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

As stated, you can log into iCloud.com to track your iPhone. Prior to iOS 5 those who used "find my phone" logged into me.com to track it. That message is just referring to the abiliy to use one of your other iOS 5 devices to find your iPhone (if you have any) in addition to iCloud.com.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
wbgookin
You can also use iCloud.com to find your devices. I think they're just saying you have to have ios to run the specific app.
0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

As stated, you can log into iCloud.com to track your iPhone. Prior to iOS 5 those who used "find my phone" logged into me.com to track it. That message is just referring to the abiliy to use one of your other iOS 5 devices to find your iPhone (if you have any) in addition to iCloud.com.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

Does the location service on the iPhone need to be on when the device goes missing. I always keep my off unless I am using maps. I understand that leaving it on drains the battery rapidly ?

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

richie72846 wrote:

Does the location service on the iPhone need to be on when the device goes missing. I always keep my off unless I am using maps. I understand that leaving it on drains the battery rapidly ?

Yes, it needs to be on in order to find the phone. You can have location services turned on and then have each app that is listed turned off until you need to use them. Find My Phone should be on. That is how I have it set up. It does not cause my battery to drain rapidly because unless you go to actively search for the iPhone "find my phone" isn't sending or receiving any data. This was my set up prior to iOS 5 also when you had to log into me.com to find your phone.

0 Likes