Re: Double Data Deal
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
AZSALUKI wrote:
"they also did $15 data plans (there was a limit, but i don't recall what it was) for about a month last christmas season."

150 MB per month

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

haze4evr wrote:

So Verizon is rolling out a double data deal starting today.  Pay for 2gb and you actually get 4gb for the same price.  Pay for 5gb and you get 10, etc... This is for new and existing customers, but there's a catch.  It is for 4G phones only.  I just signed up for a new two year agreement in order to get the new iPhone 4s, but alas... it is only 3G. So how upset do you think I am paying the same amount for data as a 4G phone owner, but only getting half as much data?  Pretty upset.

As other posters have stated, businesses run promotions all the time.  There was a special offer of a $20 data package (~300MB I think) for residents of the Washington DC area around the end of this summer.  Florida residents weren't eligible for that.  It sounds like you may have taken advantage of VZW's offer of $199/$299/$399 for an iPhone 4S with a two-year contract.  People who had renewed their contract recently weren't eligible for that offer. 

Most cellular companies don't offer incentives to iPhone users, because the iPhone will sell itself.  Sometimes, that's the downside of using a popular product.

0 Likes
galaxie500fb
Contributor - Level 2
It's simple really. Promotions have to be offered or most droids wouldn't sell. Buy one get one free is what I usually see for droid brands. Ever see a buy 1 get 1 free iPhone promo?
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

galaxie500fb wrote:
It's simple really. Promotions have to be offered or most droids wouldn't sell. Buy one get one free is what I usually see for droid brands. Ever see a buy 1 get 1 free iPhone promo?

ummm....at&t did a $49 iphone. yes, it was an older version.....just like the buy one get one androids are either old, or low end droids. you haven't seen that for anything released this year that is higher end. fyi, android holds a larger market share than iOS. they sell pretty well. they aren't pushing android here.....they are pushing LTE. it just so happens that apple and RIM don't make LTE devices.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

AZSALUKI wrote:

galaxie500fb wrote:

ummm....at&t did a $49 iphone. yes, it was an older version.....just like the buy one get one androids are either old, or low end droids. you haven't seen that for anything released this year that is higher end. fyi, android holds a larger market share than iOS. they sell pretty well. they aren't pushing android here.....they are pushing LTE. it just so happens that apple and RIM don't make LTE devices.

I'm  not so sure that the $49 iPhone counts as a promo so much as a permanent price drop...like you mentioned, it was an old device at that point. To be a promo it would need to have a start and end date for the "sale". As far as why VZW or anyone else is doing promos for Android based phones...LTE is obviously one of the main reasons. I wouldn't say that most Droids wouldn't sell if promos weren't offered. You have to remember, until recently iPhones were only available (as intended) on one network...versus Droids which are available on almost every carrier. That would obviously make those that are not on a carrier that carries the iPhone more likely to choose a Droid device...especially since it seems like the ability to get a decent non-smartphone seems to be dwindling. I'm not saying that the iPhone being on 3 carriers now will change that outcome...there are many that wouldn't get the iPhone because they feel like they have to have a 4G device (although it amazes me how many people I know that has purchased a 4G device and do not live in an area that has 4G service...nor do they really know what 4G means...they just know it's the next big thing so they don't want to be left behind). There are also plenty of people that love Android devices...like I always say get what works for you and be happy.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

kaebfly wrote:

I'm  not so sure that the $49 iPhone counts as a promo so much as a permanent price drop...like you mentioned, it was an old device at that point. To be a promo it would need to have a start and end date for the "sale". As far as why VZW or anyone else is doing promos for Android based phones...LTE is obviously one of the main reasons. I wouldn't say that most Droids wouldn't sell if promos weren't offered. You have to remember, until recently iPhones were only available (as intended) on one network...versus Droids which are available on almost every carrier. That would obviously make those that are not on a carrier that carries the iPhone more likely to choose a Droid device...especially since it seems like the ability to get a decent non-smartphone seems to be dwindling. I'm not saying that the iPhone being on 3 carriers now will change that outcome...there are many that wouldn't get the iPhone because they feel like they have to have a 4G device (although it amazes me how many people I know that has purchased a 4G device and do not live in an area that has 4G service...nor do they really know what 4G means...they just know it's the next big thing so they don't want to be left behind). There are also plenty of people that love Android devices...like I always say get what works for you and be happy.

I would consider the $49 to be a promotional price, because you can only get this price if you sign a two-year contract.  It is an offer that is contingent on another action by the customer, at least.

Technically, DROIDs aren't available on almost every carrier.  Only VZW and Motorola licensed the use of the name "DROID".  Android devices are available across most carriers.  Sorry for the delve into the minutia, but it's a pet peeve of mine to hear people refer to my phone as a "DROID".

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

21stNow wrote:

kaebfly wrote:

I would consider the $49 to be a promotional price, because you can only get this price if you sign a two-year contract.  It is an offer that is contingent on another action by the customer, at least.

Technically, DROIDs aren't available on almost every carrier.  Only VZW and Motorola licensed the use of the name "DROID".  Android devices are available across most carriers.  Sorry for the delve into the minutia, but it's a pet peeve of mine to hear people refer to my phone as a "DROID".

If that were the case, then iPhones are already promotional priced also...so is every other phone that they (and all of the others) carry as anyone that is eligible can get the phones at the regular 2-year agreement price. A promotion is a marketing tool meant to increase sales of a product or service. Promotions are short term and once they end they revert to the regular selling price. In the case of wireless phones, the regular selling price is either ther 2 year agreement price for those eligible or the full retail price for those not available. Since the $49 iPhone  price was announced it has been the "regular" price of that device...it has never reverted back to a higher price. I figured since you can appreciate the delve into the minutia you would appreciate my own delve lol.

As far as the Droid versus Android thing...I respect that you don't like the practice of referring all Android devices as a Droid when the name is meant only for Motorola devices (I assume only those tied to VZW based on the license you mentioned but I honestly though the name Droid was licensed through LucasFilms). Unfortunately, the reason that many make the mistake of referring to an Android device as a Droid is probably related to the ambiguity in the brand or OS for most non-tech people. If VZW and Motorola wanted to lessen the confusion they probably should have considered choosing a name a little less related to Android, especially with so many different Android devices available and the public general knowledge not being as detailed as those that truly follow Android/Droid. To most, Droid is just the shortened nickname of Android...wrong as it may be. It's kind of like people that automatically call a dark cola drink a Coke regardless of what brand it really is...

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

ok...if we are going to get nit picky about it ( :smileywink: ), then it's not a motorola thing. samsung and others have "droid" branded devices (the charge for example). but yes, it's a lucasfilms trademark. i typically call any android a droid...i guess just out of habbit? 

as far as the promotional issue goes, i would somewhat argue that the ip4 was a promotional offer when it came to verizon. while they didn't specifically say "buy it now and get unlimited data," they did announce the ip4 and then immediately issued a statement that they were eventually going to tiered pricing. so no....it wasn't exactly a promotion, specific to the ip4, but i suspect they did it to push the ip4. i don't think they coincidentally announced the device and their plans to go to tiered pricing. there was no reason to announce the tiered pricing plans so early, except to boost ip4 sales. those that got it 6 months ago got unlimited data and those that got it 2 months ago did not.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

really getting picky

the droid is a specific device made by motorola, no other name

shen someone says they have a droid i assume its that orignal phone

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

mdram4x4 wrote:

really getting picky

the droid is a specific device made by motorola, no other name

shen someone says they have a droid i assume its that orignal phone

haha.  That's why I always say OG Droid.

And LTE data is cheaper bit by bit compared to 3G EVDO for Verizon if I'm not mistaken. Verizon is also probably trying to use it as a motivating factor to get people who are on the fence to switch to a 4G device. 

0 Likes