Cannot Respond to or Send Text Messages
Sankofa

On Tuesday night I was texting a friend when I noticed that the notification on the text message icon was not disappearing when I read my friend's texts (not an iPhone user). When I tried to respond, the sending bar never completed the send.  The long series of texts  also disappeared and all I could see was the very last text my friend sent.  Now that list of texts is showing, but I still can't reply to any texts.

I also sent a test text to my sister who is an iPhone user and she responded "received," but I haven't been able to send any other texts.  I tried to send her a picture and the message says, "Send failure."

I received a text last night and I can tap to read it, but when I close to go back to the text screen where all my texts are, that text is listed as a new text. 

Right now I have 20 "new" text messages. 

I spoke to a rep at Apple and they suggested I reach out to my carrier since everything else about my phone is working just fine.  I upgraded on Monday to the latest IOS before this happened, and I reset my network settings after this happened.

Any other suggestions?  Help! 

Thanks. 

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Cannot Respond to or Send Text Messages
shocking
Enthusiast - Level 3

This definitly sounds like a device issue. You have already done a software update which is great, and one of the steps I would have suggested. Since the problem is still happening, you could try doing an erase all content and settings, and then restore from new rather then restoring from backup. This will keep any possibly corrupted data in your backup from coming onto the iPhone which could be the cause of this issue. If the issue is fixed after the reset, try putting your information back on the device and test to see if the problem persists.

If the reset does not fix the issue, I would recomend calling Verizon customer care to see if any of their troublshooting will solve the issue.

0 Likes
Re: Cannot Respond to or Send Text Messages
Not applicable

iPhone texts sent your sister was sent over iMessage. People with no iphones use verizons servers to send and receive messages. Having said that did you just get this iphone? if you came from a android device verizon may be able to go into your account and re-enable the messaging so its functional on their service.

Apple lied to you. Verizon is not responsible for your update. Apple does not allow any carrier to mess with their phones or tablets. http://www.apple.com then click on forums for your device and you may get answers from others that have or had this issue.

Verizon will try and troubleshoot the problem, call from a phone other than your iphone to have them fix it.

Good Luck

0 Likes