Can we use the iPhone 4 in Israel?
peace95

Hi. I have an iPhone 4 through Verizon; can I take it to Israel and use it there? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can we use the iPhone 4 in Israel?
xlost6
Contributor - Level 1
You sure can but if your making voice calls your going to be roaming on whatever CDMA networks Israel has.

The roaming rates for voice calls is $2 per minute.

For more information check out this link: http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

In most traveling situations a Global World phone is the better solution or a GSM phone because that's sort of the standard worldwide.

Hope this helps...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
xlost6
Contributor - Level 1
You sure can but if your making voice calls your going to be roaming on whatever CDMA networks Israel has.

The roaming rates for voice calls is $2 per minute.

For more information check out this link: http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

In most traveling situations a Global World phone is the better solution or a GSM phone because that's sort of the standard worldwide.

Hope this helps...
0 Likes
budone
Legend

FYI, For all but a very small area, Israel only offers CDMA service so a global phone would not be necessary.

Be sure to have international services added to your device BEFORE leaving the states.

Israel Link

0 Likes
peace95

If moving to Israel, can I take my Verizon iPhone 4 and activate it there?

0 Likes
xlost6
Contributor - Level 1
The Verizon iPhone will work only on Verizon CDMA network and can only be activated on Verizon network.

But as I said above you can use the iPhone in Israel but you will be roaming (hence roaming charges) off another carrier network. Again in this sense it will be an Israel CDMA network.

You can move to Israel but you still will still be roaming and not using Verizon network. So you will be paying a hefty bill.
0 Likes
budone
Legend

Moving??? No. As VZW has limits on how much you roam internatioanlly. .Plus as the last poster stated, it would be VERY EXPENSIVE to go that route.

0 Likes
peace95

So I couldn't take my current iPhone 4 from here and switch carriers in Israel?

0 Likes
xlost6
Contributor - Level 1
No, the Verizon iPhone will not work with any other carriers expect Verizon. If you want to use an iPhone 4 over in Israel then your better off going AT&T route and using their iPhone 4 considering AT&T uses GSM (global standard).

With Verizon they use CDMA an technology that is used in the United States more than any other country. Most countries use GSM which allows you to take out the existing SIM card and use another SIM card with a different carrier.

Verizon does not have that feature. If your a traveler and plan to move then cancel your contract with Verizon and sign up with a provider over in Israel. Thats the best advice we or Verizon will give you.

Hope this helps...
0 Likes
budone
Legend

An ATT iPhone will NOT work in Israel as the country is 99% CDMA.

0 Likes
peace95

Thank you. That is the best advice :smileyhappy:

0 Likes