Can send text messages but can't receive them
chrismk
I've done extensive searches, and even called Verizon customer service a few times about this, and they're in the process on working on it now, but I wanted to post this at least to get some kind of input until it hopefully gets working. I'm a new Verizon customer and bought an iPhone almost 3 weeks ago. I don't text many people, and I've never had a problem sending and receiving texts. But a few days ago I had someone tell me that they were trying to text me but I didn't receive them. I thought that was weird because I haven't had that problem. While I was at work, I had two friends, both on different networks try to text me and I wasn't receiving them, though they were getting the ones I sent. I later realized that the people I was texting before this were all on Verizon. So I called Verizon, did the usual troubleshooting and didn't get anywhere, so it was sent to some other technicians, might have been network techs, can't remember, and that it will take 3-5 days to get worked out. The first friend, who is on Cricket, suggested a work around and it worked, #@sms.mycricket.com, but shouldn't I be able to get texts from everyone, not just Verizon phones? I also mentioned to the customer service person, that I am in the process of getting my landline number ported over to this phone, and that hasn't been fully completed yet, in case it's relevant. If anyone has ever had this problem, or knows anything about it, while I wait to hear back from Verizon, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can send text messages but can't receive them
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Not sure if this is the case but I think in some cases when you are waiting for a number port to get completed you may have limited access to some features. This may not apply to texts though so this may not even be relevent. Have you tried to basics? Resetting/Restarting/Restoring your iPhone? Or tried dialing *228 and choosing option #2? Not sure if either will help but it wouldn't hurt if you haven't tried it.

0 Likes
chrismk

I did try the resetting and restarting, but the restoring wasn't mentioned by tech support. And I also dialed *228 option #2 and none of these fixed it. Now when you say restoring do you mean erase everything on the phone and start over?

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Yes. Take a look at the following link for more details on how to do it and what you should do. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

What kaebfly mentioned does apply to text messages. I have heard of many people having this problem and I had it myself on another carrier.  Texts from that carrier will come through, but text messages from other carriers will not.  Sending text messages is no problem.  The solution was that my number had to be reprovisioned.  I get most but not all text messages now.  The one source (that I'm aware of) that I don't get text messages from is not that important to me.

For the phone number that you have now, is that a new phone number from VZW, or did you port it from another cell phone?  How long did VZW tell you that it would take for your landline number to be ported to your cell phone?

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

chrismk

Welcome the the Verizon Wireless family!

If you are still having problems with your texting, please let me know.

You mentioned that you were porting your number over to Verizon. I suspect that has/had something to do with not being able to send and/or receive messages.

Generally with porting a number over, it can take anywhere between 24-48 hours for all functions to work properly on the phone. Therefore, you may encounter problems making & receiving call and even making/receiving phone calls until the port is complete. Again, if you are still having problems, reach out to us and we'd love to assist you.

0 Likes
Rocbeard

I’ve had the same number since the start and have only been with Verizon. The person texting me is on my Verizon plan as well, but I don’t receive the texts.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rocbeard, we definitely want to ensure that you're able to receive texts. You've come to the right place for help. Are you unable to receive texts from a specific number, or all numbers? When did this start to occur? In addition, please confirm the messaging app that you're using. Looking forward to hearing back.

LorenzoP_VZW

0 Likes