Asurion $199 Deductable For iPhone4
RichardZ

Went to replace my iPhone 4 through Asurion today (cracked screen) and found out that in addition to the monthly insurance fee there is a lovely $!99 fee deductable to replace.  

Does anyone know if this is similar for other smart phones through Verizon?

With AT&T, if you paid insurance, they replaced the phone (the whole insurance part of insurance). 

Seeing as the iPhone4 is $199 can be bought without a plan at the store around the corner from my house, this is a bit of a shock. 

Based on industry standards, they really made a horrible choice going this route for insurance and absolutely do not set good customer expectations when they offer insurance.

Frankly this is disappointing and feels like a complete and utter scam. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Asurion $199 Deductable For iPhone4
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

When you purchased the insurance the deductible should have been readily available to see....if you purchased in-store and they failed to mention it to you then that was an error on the part of the sales rep. My understanding from other AT&T iPhone users that I know, for the longest the iPhone was not eligible for insurance coverage with AT&T at all. This year they made it eligible and there is a deductible which is tiered based on what model you have. You can see the device and deductible list at the following link for AT&T devices. It shows the iPhone having a $199 deductible also. http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en_US/pdf/wireless-phone-insurance-deductible-schedule.pdf

As far as you being able to go buy another device for the deductible price...that is only true if you open a new line or your line is eligible for upgrade. Otherwise you would have to pay full retail ($599/699/799 I think...I may be off a little on those numbers).

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

It's $199 Kaebfly?  I have the insurance and the paperwork around here somewhere and I'm too lazy to check right now... but wasn't it $169.00... at least back in February when I got it?  I dunno... either way it's still a bargain considering the full retail price you'd have to pay otherwise.

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

ok... replying to myself...  It's $169.00 for the 16 gig version of the iPhone 4.  $199.00 for the 32 gig.  I have the 16 gig iPhone... still have 6 gig left too... so in my case... I chose wisely in going with the lower memory model.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Truthfully... It's pointless to get insurance for the iPhones unless it is stolen or broken in multiple pieces...  Here's why...

You pay X dollars per month, and a deductable for insurance.

Under Apples warranty which people DON'T realize that IF you break your device and you are eligible for OUT OF WARRANTY repair which often LESS than or equal to the deductable...  So why pay for insurance?  This is one of the reasons why AT&T didn't offer insurance for a long time for the iPhone.  Apple honestly has one of the best warraties out there if you read through it all. 

So basically if you get warranty for the iPhone 99% of the time Insurance companies make money and you don't get added insurance when buying the iPhone.  

0 Likes
Re: Asurion $199 Deductible For iPhone4
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

I agree with you, but as you said earlier if it's lost, stolen or totally destroyed, that's where the insurance can save you.  Sure there's probably pretty good odds that you won't need it, but with my luck I'll accidentally leave it  in a meeting with a customer somewhere and I'll never see it again...  It's sort of like buying that extended warranty on a new car...  Of which by the way I still don't get, but I did get it with the iphone...  Hmmm, maybe I'm just a bit gun shy with my iPhone!

0 Likes
Re: Asurion $199 Deductible For iPhone4
Tidbits
Legend

dbbrass wrote:

I agree with you, but as you said earlier if it's lost, stolen or totally destroyed, that's where the insurance can save you.  Sure there's probably pretty good odds that you won't need it, but with my luck I'll accidentally leave it  in a meeting with a customer somewhere and I'll never see it again...  It's sort of like buying that extended warranty on a new car...  Of which by the way I still don't get, but I did get it with the iphone...  Hmmm, maybe I'm just a bit gun shy with my iPhone!

One good thing about Verizon and Sprint though...  No one can use your device if you mark it stolen or lost.  A great thing about CDMA.

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

RichardZ wrote:

Went to replace my iPhone 4 through Asurion today (cracked screen) and found out that in addition to the monthly insurance fee there is a lovely $!99 fee deductable to replace.  

With AT&T, if you paid insurance, they replaced the phone (the whole insurance part of insurance). 

Seeing as the iPhone4 is $199 can be bought without a plan at the store around the corner from my house, this is a bit of a shock. 

Based on industry standards, they really made a horrible choice going this route for insurance and absolutely do not set good customer expectations when they offer insurance.

Do you not have car, home, health, or dental insurance either? Clearly you must not, otherwise you'd know that deductibles are PART of the whole insurance thing...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

vereyezuhn wrote:

RichardZ wrote:

Do you not have car, home, health, or dental insurance either? Clearly you must not, otherwise you'd know that deductibles are PART of the whole insurance thing...

I'd like to know where this is...  The 4 is sold for $99 with a contract, and $599 without from Apple, BestBuy, Radio Shack, AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint...  It's more than likely a "Refurb" without a warranty, and you sign a contract.
I could make a killing in Hawaii at $199 without contract and if it was BNIB
0 Likes
colleencarrigan
Enthusiast - Level 3

>Post deleted. Duplicate posting or flooding the board with the same post is against the VZW Community ToS<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes