Are parental controls available on the iPhone 4S?
Rio69

I'm planning to get one of the earlier IPhones for my son, like maybe 4 S. Wondering about the parental controls. Can I block him from calling certain people or at certain times? Do you have the everything proof covers for the 4 S. He is blind, so I wanted to be sure it has voice over. I know IPhone 4 S does. Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Parental Controls
mama23dogs
Legend

It might be worth while to see if Apple provides what is needed, since it is free and included on the iPhone already.

About Restrictions (parental controls) on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

See what you can restrict

You can restrict access to these apps and features1 on the device:

• Safari
  • Camera (also disables FaceTime)
  • FaceTime
  • iTunes Store
  • iBooks Store2
  • In-App Purchases
  • Siri
  • AirDrop
  • CarPlay3
  • Installing apps
  • Deleting apps

You can prevent access to specific content types, such as these:

• Ratings (select the country in the ratings section to automatically apply the appropriate content ratings for that region)
  • Music and podcasts
  • Movies
  • TV shows
  • Books2
  • Apps
  • Siri
  • Websites
  • You can also adjust the time necessary before a password is required to purchase content

You can prevent changes to privacy settings, including these:

• Location Services
  • Contacts
  • Calendars
  • Reminders
  • Photos
  • Bluetooth sharing
  • Microphone
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Advertising

You can prevent changes to these settings and accounts:

• Accounts4
  • Find My Friends5
  • Cellular data use6
  • Background app refresh
  • Volume limit

You can restrict features within Game Center:

• Multiplayer games
  • Adding friends

You can also turn on or enforce Restrictions using a profile (typically installed when using the device for business or education purposes). Check for installed profiles in Settings > General > Profiles. For additional information, contact the administrator or the person who installed the profile. To learn more about iOS software, see the user manual.

Get help

If your iOS device is missing a particular app or a certain feature isn't available, make sure that Restrictions are off. Symptoms can include:

• App missing from the Home screen (such as Safari, Camera, or FaceTime)
  • Feature or service unavailable (such as Siri or Location Services)
  • Setting missing or dimmed (such as Mail, Contacts, and Calendar; iCloud; Twitter; FaceTime)

Learn how to use Restrictions (or parental controls) in iTunes and how to prevent In-App Purchases.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I think the Iphone 4S is an awesome choice for your son Rio69. The phone has Siri and voice activating dialing. You can also set up Family-Base on his phone. Family-Base allows numbers to be blocked, time restrictions, location, usage control, content restriction and more. Here is a link to view all the information http://vz.to/1GorVwV . We also have some awesome accessories for this device and all our devices. You can compare devices online via our website http://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/ . Please let us know if you have any other questions.  KinquanaH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
rrodkin
Enthusiast - Level 2

@VZWSupport, I don't think this is entirely true.  According to the FAQ linked from Family-Base page, if the child phone is an iPhone, you cannot monitor app usage nor can you lock the phone down -- the kid's phone must be an iPhone. 

While you can monitor phone, text and data usage from the iPhone-compatible parent app, I don't see any difference between that and what you can monitor via the myVerizon app, which doesn't cost anything to use.  Where is the value in Family-Base for iPhone users?

Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
rrodkin,  That's a fantastic question! It's important to know what options you'll have with the phone. The child app isn't available for the iPhone and this does stop the ability to monitor apps that are being used and it does stop you from putting a lock on getting into the phone.  There are still many other things you can do though. You can set time restrictions. You are able to limit usage for data, messages, calls and purchases. You can block contacts and create a trusted contacts list. None of these require the child app and they will great. If viewing the familiy base FAQ, http://vz.to/1MgUml4 you can view a list of features under the first question "What is FamilyBase?". Anything listed there that does not require the child app will still work great.  AndrewT_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Re: Re: Parental Controls
rrodkin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response.  The particular FAQ to which you referred definitely clears things up.

FYI, though, there are other FAQs on the same page that muddy the waters, and actually contradict themselves . . . you may want to update these sections to more accurately reflect what you just told me.  Thanks again.

Compatibility with Plans, Features, and Devices

7. Is the FamilyBase service compatible with iPhone®?

Yes, the FamilyBase Parent app is available for the iPhone; however, the companion (or child) app is not.

Even though the child app is not available for the iPhone you can still monitor calling, text and data usage through the Parent app. However, you are not able to monitor app usage or lock their phone

NOTE: it would be helpful here to also add that the other features (time restrictions, etc.) are available

Signing Up and Using FamilyBase with iPhone

14. Is there a FamilyBase companion app available for the iPhone?

The FamilyBase companion app is not currently available for the iPhone.

NOTE: FAQ #14 is true, but #17 below completely contradicts it.

17. Currently I use FamilyBase on my iPhone. How is the FamilyBase parent app for iPhone different?

The existing FamilyBase parent experience on the iPhone is a mobile web experience and includes only the ability to view activity of a child line. In addition to providing activity detail, the FamilyBase parent app, when the companion app is installed, includes the ability to remotely lock the device, view app usage and view contact detail.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

It might be worth while to see if Apple provides what is needed, since it is free and included on the iPhone already.

About Restrictions (parental controls) on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

See what you can restrict

You can restrict access to these apps and features1 on the device:

• Safari
  • Camera (also disables FaceTime)
  • FaceTime
  • iTunes Store
  • iBooks Store2
  • In-App Purchases
  • Siri
  • AirDrop
  • CarPlay3
  • Installing apps
  • Deleting apps

You can prevent access to specific content types, such as these:

• Ratings (select the country in the ratings section to automatically apply the appropriate content ratings for that region)
  • Music and podcasts
  • Movies
  • TV shows
  • Books2
  • Apps
  • Siri
  • Websites
  • You can also adjust the time necessary before a password is required to purchase content

You can prevent changes to privacy settings, including these:

• Location Services
  • Contacts
  • Calendars
  • Reminders
  • Photos
  • Bluetooth sharing
  • Microphone
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Advertising

You can prevent changes to these settings and accounts:

• Accounts4
  • Find My Friends5
  • Cellular data use6
  • Background app refresh
  • Volume limit

You can restrict features within Game Center:

• Multiplayer games
  • Adding friends

You can also turn on or enforce Restrictions using a profile (typically installed when using the device for business or education purposes). Check for installed profiles in Settings > General > Profiles. For additional information, contact the administrator or the person who installed the profile. To learn more about iOS software, see the user manual.

Get help

If your iOS device is missing a particular app or a certain feature isn't available, make sure that Restrictions are off. Symptoms can include:

• App missing from the Home screen (such as Safari, Camera, or FaceTime)
  • Feature or service unavailable (such as Siri or Location Services)
  • Setting missing or dimmed (such as Mail, Contacts, and Calendar; iCloud; Twitter; FaceTime)

Learn how to use Restrictions (or parental controls) in iTunes and how to prevent In-App Purchases.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Parental Controls
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Oh good! We are glad to see that was helpful for you, rrodkin.  Your feedback is appreciated and we will be sure to forward it on.     TamaraH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes