Apple IOS5 and icloud
workaholick

Will Verizon iphone4 owners be able to get Apple IOS5 or icloud this fall?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Apple IOS5 and icloud
JoeL_VZW
Verizon Employee

There hasn't been an official time frame issued by Verizon in regards to the AppleIOS5 or icloud. You can sign up for updates by clicking here .

View solution in original post

0 Likes
pensfan0782
Contributor - Level 1

yeah both. i know two people running it now and there is both cdma and gsm builds

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

Just because a beta's out of which is being applied to the Verizon iPhone 4 doesn't mean it will get it when iOS 5 is released.  Note that iOS 5 will likely be released at the same time as the next iPhone.  That device will get it.  And that new device will definitely be released to AT&T (the GSM crowd).  Verizon on the other hand... well it would not surprise me in the least if this new device doesn't find it's way to Verizon until some time afterwards.  (1 year after initial release is one possible target)  All IMO, but based on the current way the Verizon iphone has been treated, it's painfully obvious that the this iPhone just doesn't get the same love as it's GSM cousin.  Why you may ask?  Well it's because Verizon just doesn't care.  Apple still gets to sell iPhones to people on Verizon who 'love' their network but don't care about (or haven' experienced) AT&T's network issues.  Verizon gets to have the iPhone and Android phones (of which are their favorite... I'll ramble on my analysis of this maybe later!) and Blackberrys and Windows and whatever else comes along.  It doesn't matter if these phones have the latest firmware or features as Verizon's business model is 'the network'.  Get the idea?  Verizon wants the phone manufacturers to cater to them whereas Apple wants the carrier to adapt to them.  Love or hate them, AT&T bent over backwards for Apple and is still doing so.  Verizon will never do that.  So bottom line, IMO the Verizon iPhone will always be lagging behind what other carriers provide in terms of the iPhone.

How's that for a theory!  MAN... I sure hope I'm wrong and that all is truly equal again in the iPhone universe cometh this fall!

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i suspect they will eventually get it. it may be months after at&t iphones, but they should get it before the next iphone. i know the network is their focus, but you have to somewhat keep up with updates. it's one thing to get an update months after another carrier, but it's a whole different issue if you don't get the update at all. it just seems like it will be pointless for apple to try to keep selling iphones on the verizon network, if they aren't going to update them at all. i know it's the iphone, but even fans of the iphone are not going to buy it if they figure out that it can't do what the at$t version does. the samsung fascinate was nearly a year behind other androids in getting a crucial update. it killed that line of phones and i personally believe it has been part of the reason that the newer samsung charge hasn't sold more units. android fans were immediately turned off by samsung because now they fear that they will always be behind in the update department. i have to believe that verizon would get the update, even if it's months after at&t????? this isn't a minor OS update we are talking about. i know the casual user couldn't care less, but would any of you ever buy another verizon iphone if they don't get the update? 

0 Likes
pensfan0782
Contributor - Level 1

i read confirmation that the next phone will only come in one model and will work on both gsm and cdma networks. we're not going to get shafted.

0 Likes
JoeL_VZW
Verizon Employee

There hasn't been an official time frame issued by Verizon in regards to the AppleIOS5 or icloud. You can sign up for updates by clicking here .

0 Likes
brachus12
Enthusiast - Level 2

We were talking to Apple technicians last month about issues we were having in our corporate environment and they stated that iOS 5 would be out on September 13th.

Not sure if it's still planned for then, but that's the word we got straight from Apple itself.

0 Likes