Re: Activating 3G in extended network - Alaska
usafatcmike
Enthusiast - Level 2

akpwalker - you may want to hold off on the 907 number. I have been having some issues with them. The issue is, that if you have a 907 phone number, no one inside of Alaska with a 907 phone number can contact you; however, anyone in the lower 48 is capable of calling you on your cell phone, it is just those with a 907 phone number that can't call us. I contacted verizon and they are unable to determine the cause of this issue as it is localized and not national. We can call out to any 907 number and any national/international number but just can't receive 907 lan/cell phone calls.

However, should you decide to proceed, you can simply just go online and "change my mobile number" and follow the instructions. Be sure that you are inside of a Verizon 4G LTE data zone though to ensure this is completed. Should you also want to obtain a new phone, you can now activate phones up here as we just got an S4 and activated with a 907 number.

0 Likes
mizace
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have they fixed the 907 issue yet?

0 Likes
sixsixoh

Would also like to know if the 907 problem has been fixed, also porting requires reactivation correct?  So is it possible to activate phones in Alaska now?

0 Likes
usafatcmike
Enthusiast - Level 2

Currently, you can activate Verizon 4G cell phones in Alaska as long as you are within the Verizon 4G network area.

The 907 issue has not been fixed because they still do not have full voice capabilities in Alaska, all voice is still on ACS network. We did attempt to port a 907-317 number from AT&T to Verizon but failed and were told this was again due to the fact they don't have voice activated here. After speaking with Verizon, they do expect voice service to go live within first few months of 2014. This will be the first voice service in Alaska that is purely 4G LTE, therefore the call quality will be very clear.

0 Likes
ingallst

Should you also want to obtain a new phone, you can now activate phones up here as we just got an S4 and activated with a 907 number.

You say that you can do this, but I have a new Verizon iphone 4s that I am attempting to activate. Upon dialing: *228 send, I am greeted with a prompt  from Alaska Communications. I press 1 to activate and it says this service is not available outside of my home network. Which would be the lower-48. So i have to send it down there to have it activated. Or do you know some sort of workaround as you claim?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi ingallst!

I want you to be able to use your new iPhone 4S in Alaska!  Currently, we do not support CDMA network technology, needed to activate your device, in Alaska.  The device will need to activate in the lower 48 before it can be used in Alaska.  Is there someone you know in the lower 48 you could send your device to in order to activate it?

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes