A Few Questions
AG11

If I login to Verizon and select to upgrade my device it looks like I am eligible to use my last NE2 discount and save (a whopping) $30.  If I check my status on the Apple site, it doesn't apply the -$30.  I am eligible for this discount with the 4S, right?  If so...do I need to Pre Order through Verizon in order to receive this discount?

I'm assuming Pre orders are sent in the order they are received?  Therefore, it would be best to pre order as soon as possible for a greater chance to get the phone on its release date, correct?  Im not too fond about waking up at 3AM!

And lastly...what is the deal with insurance?  I have insurance on my current phone.  Does that carry over to the iphone?  How does insurance differ from the Apple Care+?  And is Apple Care+ even available for purchase through Verizon?  It seems like a bit of a rip off @ $100.  In the end..I am just worried that I will eventually drop the phone and need a replacement (as this has happened to a few friends).  Some got a new one for free, others weren't so lucky.  What do you think is the best way to go about covering myself in the event that this occurs (hopefully it wont though!)

Thanks for answering all my questions!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: A Few Questions
bostonbrahmin
Enthusiast - Level 1

I reached someone in the Applecare group at Apple today (on the phone.  It finally opened up).  Here's what they told me:

1.  The intention is as written -- you are supposed to only get Applecare+ if you buy it with the phone

2.  But, that said, they understand that all the sales channels aren't fully up-to-speed yet -- and, you should do the following:

a)  Bring your phones within 30 days of purchase to an Apple store -- they need to inspect it

b)  Bring all your documentation (showing, I presume, that it's not from Apple's website, and that it is from Verizon Wireless, date of purchase, etc.

c)  They should sell you an Applecare+ plan (assuming no issues with a)/b))

Hopefully, they'll all be up-to-speed and there won't be any issues when I get the phones (next Friday?!?).  My plan is to take the boxes directly to the store with my receipts and purchase the Applecare+ plans right then.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

AG11 wrote:

If I login to Verizon and select to upgrade my device it looks like I am eligible to use my last NE2 discount and save (a whopping) $30.  If I check my status on the Apple site, it doesn't apply the -$30.  I am eligible for this discount with the 4S, right?  If so...do I need to Pre Order through Verizon in order to receive this discount?

the NE2 is from verizon only, a perk for ordering from them

I'm assuming Pre orders are sent in the order they are received?  Therefore, it would be best to pre order as soon as possible for a greater chance to get the phone on its release date, correct?  Im not too fond about waking up at 3AM!

its not tht simple, iirc it based on shipping location as well as order placement

And lastly...what is the deal with insurance?  I have insurance on my current phone.  Does that carry over to the iphone?  How does insurance differ from the Apple Care+?  And is Apple Care+ even available for purchase through Verizon?  It seems like a bit of a rip off @ $100.  In the end..I am just worried that I will eventually drop the phone and need a replacement (as this has happened to a few friends).  Some got a new one for free, others weren't so lucky.  What do you think is the best way to go about covering myself in the event that this occurs (hopefully it wont though!)

apple care goes through apple, insurance goes through verizon

Thanks for answering all my questions!

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You need to pre-order through Verizon for your NE2 credit.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into order...but you have to assume that the batch of orders that hit the system at 3 am will be processed and shipped before someone ordering later in the day. Set your alarm for 10 minutes to 3 am, log on 7 mins prior, try to place the order at any point from then and you may find that the system starts a few minutes early. The process is quick....and you can be back in the bed before 3:15.

Insurance for the iPhone is likely higher than what you currently have. You can read the info on the VZW website about the insurance that will answer all of your questions including the deductible. AppleCare...it is for extended warranty (not insurance replacement that cover accidents, etc). If you never need to use it then it's a waste of money. But if you ever need to contact Apple after the original warranty passes for any defect that was not caused by accidental damage, water damage, etc...then you may have wished you had it. I don't have it but I knowingly accept the risks that come without having it and am prepared to pay any out of pocket costs that may arrise if a need for assistance occurs (or if I have to replace my phone as far as insurance goes).

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Apple care is 69 and if u need to call after 90 days apple about apple things to do with the iphone like doing software upgrades they charge u unless u have applecare. U have a yr to put that protection on. Verizon u pay 10.99 a month includes physical damage plus extended warranty. There not gonna be sent untill 14th.
0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Apple care has a warranty to
0 Likes
AG11

Thanks for the replies everyone!  Much appreciated.

Insurance for an iphone is $11?  I currently pay $7 for Asurion for my Incredible (with a $100 deductable to replace the phone...I believe).  Would that not coverage not roll over to an iphone?

Thanks again.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

AG11 wrote:

Thanks for the replies everyone!  Much appreciated.

Insurance for an iphone is $11?  I currently pay $7 for Asurion for my Incredible (with a $100 deductable to replace the phone...I believe).  Would that not coverage not roll over to an iphone?

Thanks again.

No, it wouldn't cover it. Plus, your deductible would be higher. But I think the full retail may be higher for the iPhone than the Incredible which might be why the insurance is higher.

0 Likes
seqiro

AppleCare+ for the iPhone 4S is $99 and covers up two incidents of accidental damage with a $49 deductible.  The way I see it, this is a better choice than Verizon's insurance, with the exception (I'm assuming) of AppleCare not covering you if your phone gets lost or stolen.

Unlike AppleCare, AppleCare+ MUST be purchased at the same time as the iPhone 4S.  Is Verizon going to be selling this?  I'd rather buy through Verizon than Apple, but I want to go with AppleCare+ and not Verizon's insurance.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

0 Likes
Twit

Good question. Does anyone know?

I would much rather purchase AppleCare+ vs. Asurion.  My current Assurion cost is $6.99/month with a $100 deductible; while the AppleCare+ is $100 with a $49 deductible.  Over the course of 2 years, the AppleCare+ wins.

0 Likes
mbern1008

Just pre-ordered through verizon. Apple's website an hour later is still not taking orders. 

Verizon did not offer the Applecare+ when ordering nor did they apply my ne2 discount. I will be calling tomorrow to find out why.

0 Likes