4s Bluetooth 4.o not compatible with many/most current devices
dickday

I discovered (too late, I've had my 4s just over a month and cannot return it) that the Bluetooth in the 4s is 4.0, which is not compatable with many of the current Bluetooth devices. In my case, it's not compatible with any of them. I have an AT&T cordless phone system in my home that connects to my cell, I have a Motorola hands free unit in the car and a Samsung headset at work.

I just checked and not one of the major cordless phone vendors (that I could find) has a product that is compatible with the 4s. Of the 3 devices, the home phone system is the most important since we do not have a land line.

If I had to go buy all new devices I would not be happy, but at least I'd have an option. Apparently I will have to wait until someone makes a cordless phone system that works with the 4s.

Since Bluetooth 4.0 is supposed to be a totally different beast, I can't imagine that Apple can push out an OS update to help with this.

Here is a link to the Apple forum that has many different threads, all basically complaining about the same thing... https://discussions.apple.com/message/17234440#17234440

Just curious if others have run into this.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4s Bluetooth 4.o not compatible with many/most current devices
Tidbits
Legend

It has NOTHING to do with Bluetooth 4.0...  Bluetooth 4.0 is backwards compatible and the problem is more about the Bluetooth support stack. 

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Good morning happy forum members,

Bluetooth 4.0 is definitely a huge leap in the technology sector and it has many advantages. Some of which are

• Lower power consumption.
  • Backwards compatible with previous bluetooth versions.
  • Longer range connectivity than it's predecessors.

I have tested the bluetooth 4.0 in the iPhone 4S and found that most of the popular manufacurer's bluetooth devices does work with the technology. Motorola, LG, and Jabra are a few of the companies who bluetooth earpieces pair well with the iPhone 4S. As more devices are released to the market, bluetooth 4.0 will soon be the norm as to which accessories will be working with. As far as the home phone system, I would recommend contacting your provider for options on bluetooth 4.0 compatibility. Hope this helps.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
dickday

Tidbits. In theory, all BT devices 'should' be backwards compatible.  Please re-read my post. I said many devices are not compatible, not all.  And, at least in my case, it has everything to do with Bluetooth 4.0. Unfortunately, in my case 100% of my devices are not supported. I checked with the manufacturers.

0 Likes
dickday

Arnett, thank you for the reply.  "As more devices are released" and "soon will be the norm" is of little comfort when none of my devices work. 

"I would recommend contacting your provider".  The manufacturer?  I did.  The 4s is not supported.  I'm sure there must be a system out there that will work with the 4s, but so far, I cannot find a manufacturer site that says they support this phone.

0 Likes
GGCDAD
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree.  Verizon, for once, is in the clear on this issue.

I have tried syncing to an Apple iPad2, Apple iPad, Hewlett-Packard 2710p tablet PC and a MacBook Pro 15" to the 4S.  None of them were able to sync files.  The only devices I was able to use with it is a Motorola R505 Phone-to-Radio Frequency Transmitter in my car and a Bluetooth ear plug.  I wasn't even able to pair it to my Blackberry.  Each device could see the iPhone4S but could not make a pair except the Motorola.  I went on Apple's website to look for an answer and many people who purchased the iPhone 4S are also complaining in their forum about the same issue.  Unfortunately, replacing (upgrading) the Bluetooth in these legacy devices isn't an option so we either deal with it or file a class-action lawsuit against Apple because the iPhone4S isn't all it was advertised it to be.