Data usage
cmc7

WOW my data has gone crazy with my same usage with the new i phone 11 

is there something i can do to not use so much data ? I am normally way below my usage and this month i had to add data twice?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data usage
vzwguy871

unlimited

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Check the data usage on your device to see which apps are using the most data. Then go into those apps to make sure the settings are set to minimize data usage.

0 Likes
Carol2812

This issue seems to be happening to a lot of people. We do not have a new phone and have never been over on data. We have a 10g plan and use about 2g a month. All of a sudden we get an email saying we are at 90%. This is ridiculous. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

@Carol2812 wrote:

This issue seems to be happening to a lot of people. We do not have a new phone and have never been over on data. We have a 10g plan and use about 2g a month. All of a sudden we get an email saying we are at 90%. This is ridiculous. 

As I stated earlier, check the data usage which is recorded by your 'device', not Verizon. Your device has a data counter which has NOTHING to do with the amount of data Verizon says you use. If there is an app which is using a lot of data you don't think it should be using, there are only 2 things to do. You can 1) check the settings in the app and make them such that it will minimize data usage or 2) delete the app.

Verizon has absolutely no control over what apps you choose to install on your phone. Verizon has absolutely no control over the settings on the apps you choose to install on your phone. Every time an app is updated, either manually or automatically if your settings allow it to do so, there is a chance the author of the app has changed the settings for the app on your device. UNLESS you go in to check for rogue app data usage, you will likely never find out what has caused your increase in data usage.

You are correct that this issue seems to be happening to a lot of people. This is because most people do not understand the settings on an app can be changed during an update to the app. Verizon doesn't write the updates. Verizon doesn't install the updates. These are both things you control by installing an app on your device, keeping apps on your device updated in order to continue using them and/or checking the settings on the apps you have on your device.

If you don't want to take responsibility for keeping on top of the apps on your device, then you have no one to blame for most increases in data usage on your device except yourself.

Whether or not you have a new device makes no difference. App publishers are CONSTANTLY pushing updates out to their apps. Only YOU control which apps are installed on your device. Most apps have the capability to use data on your device even when you are not actively using your device. You have to limit this capability of the apps on your device. Verizon CANNOT do it for you.

If I was in the situation that I normally use 2 GB/month of a 10 GB allowance and I got an email stating I was at 9 GB usage for the current billing cycle. The FIRST thing I would do would be to check the data usage on the different apps on my device and either delete the offending app or check the settings to see why it was using more data than I thought it should be using.

0 Likes