Why is Manage Verizon Account no longer supported on iPad?
bubba8878
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since the iPad's first release in 2010 and continuing into 2018, Manage Verizon Account in cellular settings supported the purchase of prepaid bandwidth even when the iPad had no internet connection.  But at some point in 2018, support for this was withdrawn.  Does anyone know why?

The My Verizon app is no substitute for this, even if it worked on a recent-vintage iPad Pro (which it does not), since it requires an internet connection.

The feature made perfectly good sense for anyone like me who bought prepaid bandwidth on an as-needed basis.  There were some months when wifi was always available, so paying for cellular bandwidth would have been a waste.  In other months, I'd unexpectedly find myself with no wifi connection and no cellular data, but could easily buy more of the latter simply by clicking on Manage Verizon Account -- no internet connection required.

It's obvious that you'll want to buy more of something
, whatever it is, when you've run out of it and need it for some purpose.  In the case of Verizon bandwidth, this situation was usefully & efficiently addressed when in the past Manage Verizon Account was working.  But since support was withdrawn for no apparent reason, that's no longer the case.  If I run out of cellular data and have no wifi connection, then I'm out of luck -- frustratingly offline with no recourse.

Does anyone know why support for this eminently useful feature was withdrawn?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why is Manage Verizon Account no longer supported on iPad?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We value your loyalty here with us, bubba8878. We appreciate your feedback and we will use it to improve our processes moving forward. I know how important it is to have data access on your tablet. I'm sorry you are having issues replenishing your plan directly from your tablet. Let's look into this further. What happens when you go into Settings > Cellular Data > View Account? Do you see the option to set up a new account? Keep me updated on your progress.

GersonG_VZW

0 Likes
bubba8878
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have a Verizon prepaid account with autopay off.  When the account's bandwidth is exhausted the account becomes suspended or disabled or something.... I don't recall which.  In any case, when I have no wifi connection and no cellular bandwidth remaining the response I get when I click Settings --> Cellular Data --> Manage Verizon Account is:

"Connection Failed.  The connection to the server was lost.  Please try again later."
.... plus an OK button

(I tried to attach the response image, but I couldn't get "Insert / edit image" to work.)

And if instead of clicking Manage Verizon Account I click Add New Plan, the response asks me to select among 5 carriers, none of which is Verizon.  Which doesn't make much sense the iPad has a Verizon SIM.  There's no option to set up a new Verizon account.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble, bubba8878. We always want it easy for our customers to receive service. Thank you for providing the helpful information. Please contact our Sales Team at 1-800-256-4646. 

RyanC_VZW

0 Likes
bubba8878
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've contacted tech support about this a number of times -- no resolution / no help.

I think I provided a full description of what used to work and is no longer working.  If additional information is needed, please tell me what you need to know.

Otherwise, can someone answer the question about why support was withdrawn for this valuable feature?