Re: Was the Sony Xperia z4v canceled?
zachariahpope
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm making a custom rom for the Z3V... It's obviously nothing superb due to our locked bootloaders. It's a highly debloated stock based rom themed to look like Lollipop. It's deodexed, zip aligned, has init.d support, stagefright patches (only about 60% of the vulerabilities are patched at this point Im still working that out), and I've also got the native hotspot working. I expect to be finishing up a test build within the next couple of days, if not three at the most. If you're interested, email me at zachariahpope@gmail.com (or hangouts doesn't matter) and I'll send you some screenshots of it and I'll have a test build in the next few days. I really need a tester and I'd be honored if you'd try it out...

0 Likes
sephiroth_4
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
KeyWestReactor
Contributor - Level 1

Hmmm, I wonder why that story never showed up in my constant "z4v" Google searches over the last few weeks.... It fills in a couple of gaps in the other "corporate store contacts" stories we heard here, but still doesn't answer our main question, which is...... "Was the Xperia z4v cancelled?"

0 Likes
GigaSPX
Enthusiast - Level 3

Refer to my first post earlier in the topic. The best thing to do is await for the Z5 for better specs coming out before the end of this year to Verizon.

0 Likes
GigaSPX
Enthusiast - Level 3

Most likely. If the Z4v is behind in production and Verizon is aiming for the Z5, then it wouldn't make any sense to have an outdated phone to be released side by side with a much newer and better one.

0 Likes
KeyWestReactor
Contributor - Level 1

I'd LOVE to get the z5.  But HISTORY has shown us that -- even with good intentions -- Verizon will most likely not get a z5 onto the shelves until some time next year.  Those not REQUIRING an upgrade NOW may find that situation acceptable.  But many of us need an upgrade NOW.  And Verizon PROMISED us one THIS SUMMER.  And they had that upgrade ON THE SHELVES already before -- apparently -- some marketing maven got antsy and threw us under the bus.

And note that -- as discussed in detail -- the z4 is NOT obsoleted by the z5.  The only advantage of the z5 is a better camera.  Many many of us think the current camera is good enough and do NOT want to wait months and months longer just to get a few more megapixels on a camera that is FOR US just an incidental component of the phone.

GigaSPX
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Z5 series isn't going to be released anywhere worldwide until at latest this November. And It's not only the better camera, but the whole SD810 solution is the latest innovation in Sony's crafting.

One thing to really look forward to isn't the regular or compact but the Premium version. The screen upgrades from the Z4v's Quad HD into the Z5 Premium's 4k UHD. Verizon wouldn't want to miss the opportunity in selling a product for the first of its kind.

0 Likes
Laytonoid
Contributor - Level 1

To be honest, I could careless about 4K on that little phone. At that size, as long as it has full HD or more then I am fine with it. I am not going to hold my breath on Verizon getting a Z5 model. If they do I bet it will be a Z5V and come next year. I could be wrong though.

October is when the non-4K model of the Z5 comes out. If another major carrier gets the Z5 in October, like AT&T or something, I will be switching to them to get the phone. Unless, of course, Verizon gives us the Z4V or gives us an announcement actually saying it's coming. Even then, their announcements are obviously not to be trusted, so maybe I will just switch anyways. Canceling Verizon contract and getting new contract discount at another carrier on the phone could be cheaper then buying new anyways.

Essentially, Verizon has until October to give me info on an upcoming Xperia Z5 Verizon release or give me info on the Z4V or release that otherwise I am leaving Verizon and going to another Carrier with the Z5. That is, unless of course no one of the U.S. Carriers has a Z5. In this case I guess I would stay with Verizon. Surely someone will adopt the Z5 though.

I realize the heat of the 810 without the Z5 heat pipes isn't as good but I would still get the Z4V it that was my only option with Verizon. So far, there is no indication of either Xperia phones. Verizon is pissing me off.

TheSheep88
Enthusiast - Level 3

My Thoughts, exactly

SanRafaelDad
Enthusiast - Level 3

My phone broke and I am borrowing my neighbors so I really need an upgrade.  I was so excited when the Sony Z4V was announced in June.  I just want a premium waterproof phone.  None of the upgrades from the Z4 to Z5 matter to me.  The Z4 was already plenty good on all dimensions except for one - the SD 810.  IF the Sony Z4V gets dropped for a Sony Z5V and it has a SD 820 in it, it will be worth the wait for the decreased heat, increased speed and most importantly increased battery life.  But, if the Z5V has the SD 810, this whole debacle will be an example of how Verizon can manage to screw up a good thing even when it takes effort to do it.