Re: Sony z3v update questions
Tidbits
Legend

twoodjr wrote:

Do Samsung, LG, HTC offer unlocked versions with radio? The original Z3 has FM radio, yet the Verizon version doesn't. That has to come from Big Red, and I don't know why Google or Apple allow phones without FM radio, unless it is an agreement with the carriers to not offer it( in Apple's case). The point I am making is that Z3 has FM radio, yet the Verizon variant does not.

Yes and no.  Not all their unlock and unbranded versions have radios.  The European ones do, some of the asian ones don't.  Some regions require it by law, and those areas pay an average of $150 more than US counterparts, and that's why most stolen phones in the US are exported to these countries for huge profits.
Sprint all their devices have them.  They actually pay up and their devices do offer the lowest spectrum support than any other carrier which saves them money to pay for the radio.

Like I said before if manufacturers made it a STANDARD feature then it would be ILLEGAL for carriers to have it removed(See Verizon, Blackberry, and bluetooth for example).  Since manufacturers make carriers buy in then the courts see it as not a standard feature and carriers don't have to pay for it.
So I get your point, but the point of the matter if it's pay to play it isn't the carriers fault if it is not on the phone.  It's the manufacturers fault to gather money for it.

Apple doesn't allow it and in their own words.  "It's a dying technology", and it's true and the FCC is looking to vacate FM radio frequencies.  You will see changes starting next year iirc when it comes to FM radio.

0 Likes
Re: Sony z3v update questions
Tidbits
Legend

twoodjr wrote:

As you say, T-Mobile leaves it up to the manufacturer. Verizon, ATT, Sprint, it's just a way to exact money from the data plan.

I don't blame Verizon for the data limits they have.

All the other carriers like Sprint, and T-Mobile offer unlimited can use network optimization manage the network congestion and load.  AT&T can as well for their unlimited users.  For these three it is set at 20GB.  Verizon under block c rules can't do no such thing and that's the end of it.  Verizon remove unlimited because of it.  AT&T did their earlier from what I believe they will be getting the 600 spectrum from the auction, and will face the same rules.  Sprint and T-Mobile will eventually be under the same rules, and I will put money that unlimited for all carriers will go away if they can't use network optimizations techniques.

A little history.  Remember when it was still offered and could get contracts.  Verizon was about to implement network optimization policies.  Shortly there after the FCC stepped in and said they couldn't and would violate block C rules.  a couple months later Verizon stopped offering contracts for unlimited data plans.  They also stopped offering unlimited data. It will happen to Sprint and T-Mobile when they acquire the new spectrum, but I don't think they'll get the 600, and AT&T will be the one to get that one.

0 Likes