Sony z3v update questions
Racer0018
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was wondering what is the plan for this phone and the updates that are suppose to be out for the phone?

I Have contacted Sony and they have said that it isnt a secret that there is an update for this phone but it wasn't released to update the phone for whatever reason. Now the question is why. Also why not answer the questions, is it if we don't answer then they will go away. I have been with Verizon for a long time and have spent enough money to think that an answer would be deserved.

Do we expect to have the update at some time or is it just buried in somewhere and that is where it will stay. Is it that you don't want to support the device or is that you don't want to deal with Sony. I know that the phone can support the lollipop update and it Can support the marshmallow update as well. Will we ever see those updates or another of not answer and maybe it will go away?

For a long time there was only 2 cell services in the area but now there is another one that is coming to my area and I'm thinking about maybe going to them. I'm sure that someone will say, I'm sorry that you want to leave because of this one little problem. Well maybe I will and maybe I won't but one thing is for sure is that Im looking at it. It's not about the phone it is about not really having Sony phones. The z4 deal didn't work with Sony and Verizon, and I'm sure that the z5 won't make it here as well. I like the Sony phones because I do own a lot of Sony products and this won't Connects to them easy and works well with them.

So please answer will Verizon release these updates for this phone, will Marshmallow make it out for this phone. Will the z5 come to Verizon's network. If Verizon won't update the phone and won't support the newer Sony phones then maybe your guys will release the hold down on the bootloader for the z3v and Allow users to make their on updates for the phones. Its not like Verizon is loosing money on allowing them to open up the boot loader. If anything they would be making money because more people will want the phone. This is why a lot phones are opened up, people like to make the phones theirs and not locked down on what they can and cant do. So release the updates for the phone, support the newer phones that Sony has, or maybe just allow the boot loader to be unlocked so we can unlock the Sonys z3v and make it work with the newer fimrware out there. Thanks and look forward to hearing what you have to say. Now if you don't have an answer and work for Verizon, just sabe the time and dont post. Im kinda sick of the avoiding the questions and saying, we are sorry to hear this but........ Blah blah. I think people deserve any answer on this.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Sony z3v update questions
mama23dogs
Legend

This has come up a couple times recently.

Sony has pulled out of the US market entirely.  You can't buy a Sony from any carrier.  Therefore Sony has no interest in putting any time and money into coding the updates.  Your model was sent the update (two actually) up to 5.0.2, which is an unstable version.  Two more updates are required to get to 5.1.1, which is a stable update.

SO rather than release a flawed update, that will ruin a functional phone on kit kat, Verizon has wisely left the update on the shelf. 

IT is not on the list for android 6 at all.

Sadly, if you like Sony, you are on your own in the future, which may mean leaving a CDMA carrier, as unlocked, international versions will be GSM only.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

This has come up a couple times recently.

Sony has pulled out of the US market entirely.  You can't buy a Sony from any carrier.  Therefore Sony has no interest in putting any time and money into coding the updates.  Your model was sent the update (two actually) up to 5.0.2, which is an unstable version.  Two more updates are required to get to 5.1.1, which is a stable update.

SO rather than release a flawed update, that will ruin a functional phone on kit kat, Verizon has wisely left the update on the shelf. 

IT is not on the list for android 6 at all.

Sadly, if you like Sony, you are on your own in the future, which may mean leaving a CDMA carrier, as unlocked, international versions will be GSM only.

0 Likes
Racer0018
Enthusiast - Level 2

WE all know that there was a leak of the 5.0.2 update for this phone and i can tell you right now its far from the buggy firmware that your saying it is. It runs great on my z3v!! Why not give the people what they want and get the Sony lineup of the phones? Also why not allow the boot loader be unlocked for the z3v?

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

You didn't read....Sony pulled out of all US carriers.  Verizon has no say, any more than ATT, T-mobile, Sprint, etc, etc.

they didn't write a further version of lollipop Past 5.0.2 for Verizon.

AS far as I know, Verizon didn't release lollipop on their network.

IF you flashed lollipop, your now stuck with an encrypted bootloader.   Too bad.  Kit kat could have been rooted.  trying to root now will give you a lovely brick.

blame Sony, SonySony.... In case you didn't get it the last couple times. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

People on Xperia Care would argue about 5.0.2 being far from buggy.

Racer0018
Enthusiast - Level 2

Funny my phone is rooted on the 5.0.2. Why is that everyone gets so mad when people ask questions about updates for this phone. Why should sony release another update when Verizon will bury it with the 5.0.2 update they did make. And I have a friend that works at Sony and has told me that Verizon is the ones that won't allow the bootloader to be unlocked for this phone. I do know that sony will start to send unlocked z5s to the states and yes they will be unlocked. The point is why not carry the phones because want them and would pay for them.

0 Likes
Racer0018
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sure there are bugs with the firmware but tell me one firmware that doesn't have them. How long did Verizon have the 5.0.2 and didn't release it.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Glad to have you chime in Tidbits.   If anyone can explain hardware and software, it would be you.

I Went through the lollipop updates on several phones, each with "issues". 

Poor battery life, overheating and bricked devices, just to name a couple.

Lollipop did a number on the Samsung Galaxy S5. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It's not about getting mad. You assume people are mad...

The problem is manufacturers CSR tell people BS and people buy into it. If the update fails testing it goes back to the manufacturer and if they take their time then the update gets delayed. Carriers are under a NDA and can't tell you anything other than what the manufacturer allows them to say. Manufacturers will never tell you they failed testing, but those reps will surely tell you they gave it to carriers even if they have no knowledge or the computers will never tell them what is going on. No manufacturer upper management doesn't bother to tell people where they are exactly why? Because here in the states we believe the carrier is responsible and gives them plausible deniability.

Sony, Motorola, HTC, and Samsung on multiple occasions told how they update. They are so similar and show carriers don't code the updates like people think they do.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

What's your friends name or tell me what department he works for. I am willing to bet $$$ he doesn't know a thing because he has no relation with the divisions that would know and also there would be a NDA placed in those divisions.

Just a heads up. I used to work there writing the firmware for various products. I still have a lot of close ties with people in those divisions.

Oh and yes I have owned every Z series phones except the compacts. They are slow when it comes to updates to fix issues. What makes you think if the update failed that Sony would fix it quickly when they can't even do that with their unbranded devices(check Xperia Care and how long a lot of these bugs never get fixed)

0 Likes