im old and know nothing about smart phones. does using instagram use data ?
missin1

my dtr has a windows phone, shes 14.  i dont understand what uses data on her phone and what doesn't.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: im old and know nothing about smart phones. does using instagram use data ?
MrW1zard
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi missin1 Welcome to the forums.

You asked: "Does using Instagram use data?"

The use of Instagram does indeed use data.

I can understand being unfamiliar with a smart phone. On your daughter's windows phone take note of the information being displayed for each app. Before you install it read the description first. Secondly, when you are getting ready to give the app permission to run on your device notice that it will always ask for permission to be installed and give a discloser of what features and or services it will access. Each app will specify if they require data or not.

I hope that I have answered your question(s).

View solution in original post

MrW1zard
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi missin1 Welcome to the forums.

You asked: "Does using Instagram use data?"

The use of Instagram does indeed use data.

I can understand being unfamiliar with a smart phone. On your daughter's windows phone take note of the information being displayed for each app. Before you install it read the description first. Secondly, when you are getting ready to give the app permission to run on your device notice that it will always ask for permission to be installed and give a discloser of what features and or services it will access. Each app will specify if they require data or not.

I hope that I have answered your question(s).

penterax
Enthusiast - Level 3

Pretty much anything that isn't talking on the phone or sending a text message falls under the category "data".

Your phone uses data by default because your phone will connect by Cellular by default, but you CAN force your phone to use a W-Fi connection when one is available - in which case it won't use any of the data on your service plan.

To force it to use the Wi-Fi connection - so it will never use data - go to Wi-Fi and turn it on, then to Cellular and turn data off.

If you just turn the Wi-Fi on and leave the Cellular data on then it will prefer the Wi-Fi over the Cellular and only connect via Cellular if it can't find a Wi-Fi connection. This is what I do. That being said, almost all of my time is spent near the Wi-Fi capable router in my house which is a secure connection; connecting to a public Wi-Fi spot will not be, so if that's a concern, then maybe using Wi-Fi at your local Starbucks isn't a good idea. Smiley Happy

kc8
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for a super concise and understandable overview of data usage. I'm suddenly finding apps are sucking data when I am not home near my router. Like instagram even when I am not on it.....how does that happen? do I need to log  off?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great questions! The reason is that some phone apps run real time, so that you can receive the alerts as soon as they are generated. You can turn off your data or sign out of the app, and this will prevent any usage. 

AaronS_VZW

0 Likes