how can i unlock my lumia 822 and where?
lazory

how can i unlock my lumia 822 and where?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: how can i unlock my lumia 822 and where?
twistdshade
Enthusiast - Level 3

I heard that this phone came shipped unlocked. I was wrong. I heard that you had to contact your service provider to unlock your phone, so I called Verizon. They reacted as though I was asking them to commit a sin and they'd be fired if they assisted me in transferring my phone to a different service provider. I paid for the phone, the hardware belongs to me, it's here, in my hand. I should be able to do what I want with it, that includes using it with another carrier if I so choose. Anyhow, apparently if you purchased your phone after January 26th 2013 it is illegal to sim unlock your phone without express permission from your carrier. I guess that just means you'll have to contact Verizon, or search google.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I, too, was under the impression that 4G phones shipped already unlocked. You could pick up a SIM card at a convenience store or Radio Shack and pop it in to test it.

If you do require unlocking services, they absolutely will unlock your phone for you provided your account has been active for at least 60 days and is in good standing, even if they make you feel like you're doing something shady.

0 Likes
twistdshade
Enthusiast - Level 3

SIM unlocking any phone purchased after January 24th 2013 without the express permission from your carrier is a federal offense, punishable by up to $500,000 and 5 years in prison per-offense... Just FYI 😐

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Which is why Verizon will unlock it for you.

0 Likes
twistdshade
Enthusiast - Level 3

ah, so after 2 months if my account is in good standing VZ will unlock it? They never mentioned that over the phone... Made me feel like I had to commit a crime in order to actually own the phone in my pocket.

Good to know I'm not locked in for good. Originally I planned on just cancelling the plan and paying the $350 ETF because the phone is $100 cheaper that way. But I'm planning on sticking around because of the 50mb/s down 10mb/s upload 4gLTE

I still wanted to test the phone on another network though. Verizon's sctrict data limitations have me constantly checking data usage, and with the blazing fast connection it wouldn't take long to go over my monthly limit

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Yes, correct. They will unlock it. I just had this discussion with a global CSR. Call 800-711-8300.

While researching on WPCentral this issue of whether the Lumia 822 ships unlocked, I found several threads indicating that yes, it does. ???

I've never had a limited data plan, but I can understand your angst about going over. Enjoy your Lumia!

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

twistdshade wrote:

SIM unlocking any phone purchased after January 24th 2013 without the express permission from your carrier is a federal offense, punishable by up to $500,000 and 5 years in prison per-offense... Just FYI 😐

But not allowing you to take your phone to another carrier violates Verizon's agreement with the FCC, so they have to either sell it unlocked, or allow it to be unlocked without restriction.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/24/verizon-leaving-iphone-5-sim-slots-unlocked-as-required-by-fcc-n...

If you look in your customer agreement, you will find the following paragraph:

My Wireless Device

Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device. By activating Service that uses a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card, you agree we own the intellectual property and software in the SIM card, that we may change the software or other data in the SIM card remotely and without notice, and we may utilize any capacity in the SIM card for administrative, network, business and/or commercial purposes. If you bought a wireless device for Postpay Service from Verizon Wireless that doesn't use a SIM card, and you want to reprogram it for use with another wireless network, the default programming code is set to "000000" or "123456." But please note that your wireless device may not work with another wireless network, or the other wireless carrier may not accept your wireless device on its network. If you activate a wireless device for Prepaid Service, during the first six (6) months after activation, it can only be used for Prepaid Service. The iPhone 4 is configured to work only with the wireless services of Verizon Wireless and may not work on another carrier's network, even after completion of your contract term.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/customer-agreement

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Additionally, the Obama administration agrees with the petition calling for a change to this ban on consumers unlocking their devices without carrier permission.  We'll see what they do about it.

http://phandroid.com/2013/03/04/fcc-unlocked-phones/

Also, for those who are curious why this prohibition on locking devices doesn't apply to ATT or others, and only Verizon, it is because only band C of the 700 MHz spectrum carries this restriction, and Verizon is the one who uses that band.

0 Likes
Not applicable

hopmedic wrote:

Additionally, the Obama administration agrees with the petition calling for a change to this ban on consumers unlocking their devices without carrier permission.  We'll see what they do about it.

http://phandroid.com/2013/03/04/fcc-unlocked-phones/

Also, for those who are curious why this prohibition on locking devices doesn't apply to ATT or others, and only Verizon, it is because only band C of the 700 MHz spectrum carries this restriction, and Verizon is the one who uses that band.

Verizon isn't allowed to throttle data users on that spectrum which is why you can see they are getting rid of unlimited. Other companies can throttle their 4G connections. Might explain why t-mobile can offer "unlimited' data.

<< Comment removed - off topic >>.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes