Windows Upgrade for Samsung ATIV SE
DeeCT
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wondering when Windows 8.1 will be available for the Samsung ATIV SE?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Windows Upgrade for Samsung ATIV SE
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi DeeCT,

New software can be exciting! We have no info on when the Windows 8.1 update for the Samsung ATIV SE. You can keep up with latest device software news here http://vz.to/1j3bYFP .

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
timberjet
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any news? There is a serious lack of everything without this update. This phone is optimized for this update out of the box and samsung and microsoft both say it is at verizon waiting to be pushed out. What is the hold up?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

timberjet we want you to enjoy ASAP! There currently isn't any info regarding the availability the update. Are you experiencing any trouble with the device that we can help with in the mean time?

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
OverlookedCustomer

Will we even be told if we will get the update? If so, how do we find out? I was told the phone would get the update by the salesrep, but so far nothing. I have a new phone that within 1 month has become outdated, and no one will tell us even where to look for information.  So far this post is the closest I have come.  Samsung ATIV SE was not a free phone. So I don't understand if it is left out of the update process. They are already talking about an update to the 8.1 we have yet to see.  Is the answer No?  The link provided above hasn't been update since January.  I am boggled.

0 Likes
TM01
Enthusiast - Level 2

To Verizon Wireless:

Please help us.  If it isn't apparent, your customers are becoming increasingly upset that we haven't been even remotely engaged with any information about the Windows 8.1 update (soon to be 8.1 update 1).  Many people, like my wife and I (yes, we each have one), bought this phone on good faith when one of your sales staff told us that the phone(s) would receive the 8.1 update as soon as it was officially released.  If I recall correctly, it was something to the effect that the phone shipped with Windows 8 to get the product in the hands of the consumer but that 8.1 was already tested and ready for "immediate" release.  This approach would apparently get 8.1 out way faster because it was quicker to push the update over the air than it would be to wait until the official release date and then ship with 8.1 from the factory.  Reading the boards, I have a pretty strong feeling that I'm not the only one who got this information for more than one model of handset.  To make matters worse, when asked for information you try to placate the masses with an update link (go ahead, click Pamela's response to DeeCT) that doesn't even apply to the specific piece of hardware.  If you're going to string us along at least please don't do it with the Samsung Odyssey... why not go all in and link it to the Galaxy S5 or a Blackberry or something?  Otherwise, you could simply admit that you told us what we wanted to hear until you got us to to sign.  This is the same move that Buffalo Bill pulls in "The Silence of the Lambs" when he tricks the girl into the back of his van.  The best part is that everyone else saw it coming: "Probably not a good idea... this sounds shady... his arm isn't broken... why are you getting in the van?  Idiot!"  Unfortunately, I'm a loyal, long-time customer with few previous issues and took you at your word.  I should have done more research into Verizon's reputation for timely updates and general concern for existing customers before I pulled the trigger.  Well played.  I get to put the lotion on my skin for the next 2 years.  Well played.

I apologize for my frustration and bitterness, but I am tired of getting punched square in the groin every time my wife sees the Windows 8.1 "Siri vs. Cortana" commercial, as she reminds me how I convinced her against the iPhone.

That being said, on a positive note, my main gripe isn't with the phone.  It's a good piece of hardware and works very well.  I just didn't buy it for Windows 8.

Please just tell something... anything.  If the phone wasn't successful enough to merit the update just tell us.  If it's going to take more time then give us a better estimate than "we have no info".  I understand that you have no obligation to provide the update and that the product shipped in working order with the "advertised" operating system, but you should understand that when your sales staff promises an immediate service and you fail to address your customers' concerns... you risk losing those customers.

So, throw me a bone.  I just want to know if I get to hear about it during every commercial break for the next two years.  Especially when the iPhone 6 comes out.  That will be fun... I'm looking forward to that.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi TM01,

We always want to provide accurate information! I can certainly understand your eagerness for the Windows 8.1 update, per software updates enhance the device. We do not have any information regarding the 8.1 update. You can check here for the latest software news for this device http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/system_update/ativ-odyssey.html , this would be one of the first locations to list the update and specs.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
pamelaf_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hi TM01,

My apologies, I supplied an incorrect link. Here is the correct links for the Samsung ATIV SE Samsung ATIV SE Support | Verizon Wireless and Install System Updates - Samsung ATIV SE™

Thanks,

PamelaF_VZW

Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
gsb0000
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too would like to know when the windows 8.1 upgrade will be available.  I purchased a Samsung ATIV SE phone back in April with the understanding of your customer service reps that the win 8.1 upgrade would be available relatively 'soon'.  If Verizon has no intention of making this upgrade available I will most certainly remember this when my contract expires.  I DO NOT do business with companies that operate in bad faith.

If no upgrade is offered soon, or as I'm beginning to suspect never, what remedies will Verizon propose for customers stuck in a 2 year contract with a limited win 8.0 phone due to Verizon's failure to deliver as promised?

Not applicable

Verizon does not have to upgrade your device.

The phone functioned when purchased. Any updates are a bonus and not a given.

Read your customer agreement. Additionally complaining to the FCC will do no good. But some here will chime in with it is the bad carrier that is not doing their duty. Don't believe it.

If you get it you get it.

Another poster used a link to me earlier that said Verizon updated iphones. The post from 2011 clearly stated Apple does all updates so complaining to Verizon will do no good. All carriers are not obligated to push updates to your phone.

In this case look to your device maker and Microsoft.

Good Luck

0 Likes