Windows Phone for 4th quarter??
jcb193
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I've held off as long as possible and am ready to take the plunge. I've been super impressed with Windows Cortana (who named this?) and think I will go windows instead of iPhone.  I noticed there are really only two choices.  The five month old Icon (which is awesome) or the new (old) M8.  Is there anything else on the horizon?  Any reason to wait a month or two, or is now as good as it will be for the next 3-6 months.  

Any reason to choose the M8 over Icon (other than not having to use developmental 8.1)?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Windows Phone for 4th quarter??
primortal
Master - Level 1

As always VZW is mum on new devices till they are actually released.  There is rumor of the 735 coming, when is anyone's guess.  There are also rumors of a flagship device for the holidays; but those normally come to AT&T first.  Best to keep an eye on WPCentral for news about any pending devices coming to VZW.

Cortana comes from game Halo.  More info, Cortana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stick with the Icon not only is it better than the M8  Microsoft is dedicated to updates an improvements to the devices from firmware to firmware.  Whereas HTC has always given up on the device once is been released other than bug fixes.

0 Likes
jcb193
Enthusiast - Level 3

Arent there like 10 threads on here about how Verizon is not supporting the Icon?

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

The threads are about the pending Windows Phone 8.1+Cyan release and they VZW is taking their sweet time.  When in reality it really both Microsoft and VZW holding it back.  Most posts about the Icon are that the sales people said the Icon would get the update as soon as it was released.  Which is never the case, just a a false promise from sales folks to get the sale.

LumiaIconUser
Contributor - Level 1

In my opinion, the Icon is a great device. I haven't used the M8, but I can tell you the camera on the Icon is just amazing. Having a dedicated hardware button for it also makes it feel more like it's a "real" camera.

I'm sure we will eventually get Cyan/8.1 official, but until then I've been using DP8.1.1 and been fairly happy with it. I just know that the device will be even better with Cyan under the hood, so I really would like to see Verizon release it. The upset with Verizon here is mainly due to lack of communication. Of course to add insult to injury, they're also taking forever while they are busy not communicating with us.

jcb193
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just a little hesitant to buy something new that is almost 6 months old.  Is it a solid device?  Want to make sure it's successor is not just on the horizon.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

It's a solid device and if you do purchase it I recommend getting from a Microsoft Store if there is one available around you.  Being they have the best warranty; you pay a little more upfront and then $50 deductible and you get a brand new phone if something goes wrong with it.  Whereas VZW will only give you refurbished rubbish.

There will always be a successor on the horizon.  The question is do you want to stay with VZW?  Past history is when a new Windows Phone flagship device is released it normally winds up on AT&T first.

If you can wait till end of October early November more details of any new device should be available.

0 Likes
jcb193
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  I know there will always be something newer, but to use up an upgrade on VZ for a 6-7 month old phone is not something I want to jump at. There were rumors of a Samsung Windows phone coming this year?  Any other flagship or high end rumors?  Thanks!!

0 Likes
bsites1968
Contributor - Level 2

I hope they wait a while. I love my Icon!  I don't want to end up with a second best phone...at least not for a while!  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
jharris326
Contributor - Level 1

Go to AT&T if you can Verizon is sitting on the Windows 8.1 and Cyan firmware and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.  I would suggest the 1520 or the 1020 that AT&T sells but the 630 is looking real nice as well.

0 Likes