Windows Phone 8.1 on HTC 8X
winnamon84

Has anyone heard if/when Verizon might release Windows 8.1 on the HTC 8X???  Could the firmware update a couple weeks ago be a precursor for a imminent deadline for the OS upgrade???

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Windows Phone 8.1 on HTC 8X
imnhillbillyhell
Enthusiast - Level 3

I SECOND THAT EMOTION.

PLEASE VERIZON STOP DISCRIMINATING AGAINST US!!!

WE DO NOT WANT CRAPPLE PHONES SO STOP TRYING TO FRUSTRATE US OUT OUR WINDOWS PHONES!!!

0 Likes
Not applicable

Stop posting in all caps. No one is reading your posts!

Good Luck

0 Likes
winnamon84

Verizon Wireless Customer Support please answer me this question.  How has Microsoft already come out with their first GDR update for Windows Phone 8.1 before your company has released the initial Windows Phone 8.1?  That just seems ridiculous.  As a customer I should be given at least a time table of when the release should be expected.  As  Windows Phone 8.1 OS has been out for almost 4 months now, you should at the very least have an anticipated release date.  This update is a major improvement to our current hardware, and I would expect Verizon to have this issue resolved in a timely manner as it would benefit their customer.  It is just inconsiderate to keep your customers in the dark for so long, when other carriers have already started rolling this update out.  I hope to positive feedback on this issue, and like the post says I am sporting an HTC 8X.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

FYI, Windows Phone 8.1 was officially rolled out by Microsoft on 7/15 Lumia Cyan with Windows Phone 8.1 roll-out starts today (7/15/2015) and not 4 months ago.  That was the time when it was released as part of the Developer Preview Program.

Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 (GRD1) was released to participants of the Developers Preview Program and not officially released yet.

AT&T is the only US carrier that has started releasing Windows Phone 8.1 to 3 out of 6 devices.  T-Mobile, Sprint, Metro PCS, Cricket and our loved VZW has not as of this posting.

I completely agree that VZW should release a schedule on when to expect updates, but to them it seems like some sort of trade secret or something.

0 Likes
winnamon84

primortal I understand it wasn't officially released until the middle of July, however, the manufacturers and carriers had this about 4 months ago, and my point is that the Developer's Preview already has their first update.  Instead of working on improvements to Windows Phone 8.1, focus should be on getting the main update out to the general public before releasing updates to further improve the OS.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

If you pay attention to the roll out...  Ask yourself this; why is it only AT&T rolling out the update and no other carrier?

For all we know VZW held off rolling out Windows Phone 8.1 because of the issue with Bitlocker that was discovered.  Why roll out Windows Phone 8.1 where people who opted to install the developer preview would be calling support reporting their phone cannot see the update Windows Phone 8.1 + Cyan?  A support nightmare telling users how roll back to 8.0 first potentially loosing all their data in the process if backups weren't done first.

With the release of Update 1 it fixed the Bitlocker issue so now it's time to release the update.

The next biggest question is where's HTC and Samsung?  We know Lumia's will be getting a firmware update along with Windows Phone 8.1 for those who don't have it. HTC and Samsung have been quite when they will be releasing the update. WPCenteral is reporting today that the HTC 8S will not be getting Update 1, HTC 8S apparently won't be seeing Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 | Windows Phone Central

We all want our updates but the issue is that even though VZW is a communications company that suck at communicating to their customer because they think we are all stupid.http://bgr.com/2014/08/05/verizon-two-year-contracts/

0 Likes
bgoodbody
Contributor - Level 1

From the Phones perspective, the firmware is not required for WP 8.1 OS, but is requires for live folders which is part of 8.1 update 1.

However, VZW has not released the latest HTC8X firmware for developer enabled phones.

0 Likes
SteveAL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Another month has gone by and no updates from Verizon or HTC.  It's pretty obvious neither cares.  My next phone will be a Nokia for sure and I am considering switching phone companies as well.

OsuIndie07
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree with a lot of people's comments. Verizon and HTC are falling behind so fast, their customer service is ridiculous. Its about as bad as dealing with Time Warner Cable, right up there. I am considering switching to another provider and as others stated Microsoft/Nokia phones. Notice I am sticking with Windows Phone, I am fully set into the ecosystem now. The regular version of Windows Phone 8.1 was announced and released in April/May and it still hasn't made its way to the HTC 8X, I am on the developers preview version. I don't know why its fine and should have been released by now. However the recent update (windows phone 8.1 update 1), needs a driver update from HTC, which is taking months to get done. While AT&T have been pushing updates out quickly, they just announced the Nokia 820 and 920 are getting it, which are quite similar to the hardware of the HTC 8X. To Verizon is there a ETA when we can expect an update for our devices?

0 Likes