Windows Phone 8.1 Preview users will no longer need to downgrade their OS to get Lumia Cyan
primortal
Master - Level 1

Good news!

Should you still be rocking the Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview and are looking to downgrade the operating system to get the full public release and Lumia Cyan, you won't have to carry out this task if you're able to hold on for another week. According to Joe Belfiore on Twitter, Microsoft will be upgrading those on the Developer Preview program to the full Windows Phone 8.1 public release next week.

The issue with the Developer Preview and updating directly to Lumia Cyan stems from those with BitLocker installed (through their employer). Although those affected are a small minority of users, when they installed the official 8.1 update, it caused the phone to lockup. As a precaution, Microsoft halted the Preview program for everyone. Microsoft previously advised consumers to downgrade their OS to then upgrade to the public release of Windows Phone 8.1 as it rolls out.

Source: http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81-preview-users-dont-need-downgrade-their-os-will-get-lumia-...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Windows Phone 8.1 Preview users will no longer need to downgrade their OS to get Lumia Cyan
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

Read that again carefully and you'll see that while you'll get the WP 8.1 update there is no mention of the Cyan rollout. These are completely separate and until Verizon decides to do so, the Icon will not see a Cyan update.

I'm sticking with the DP until such time someone tells me Verizon is rolling it out AND I need to go back to WP8 to get it. My hope is that by the time Verizon finally gets its act together Microsoft will have fixed the bitlocker issue. That may even happen with the 8.1 update 1 release.

0 Likes
Re: Windows Phone 8.1 Preview users will no longer need to downgrade their OS to get Lumia Cyan
primortal
Master - Level 1

I'm doing the same as well.

Also WPCentral has pulled the article for some reason.

0 Likes
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

They pulled it because it jumped to the same conclusion. Cyan must come from Verizon and is not connected to the DP rollouts by Microsoft.

0 Likes
Tepid
Contributor - Level 1

The only way this will have anything to do with Cyan, is if MS fixed the Bitlocker issue and release the block for Dev Preview users to get Cyan when it is OTA. there is no indication yet that, that is the case.

The article is gone, btw.

0 Likes