Re: Windows Phone 8.1 & Cyan Firmware - When?
JEiffel93
Enthusiast - Level 1

No they don't. However, other carriers like AT&T are actually updating their WP devices. No phone company has to do anything other than provide you the phone service you pay for, but they lose customers when they blatantly show they don't care about the phone experience they are providing you.

Tidbits
Legend

Just AT&T... In the US...

Not applicable

It should be obvious.

Inaccurate statements. And even if I agreed that communication wise at least a yes or no from the carrier would be nice, I understand why they are not giving that word. (Liability to deliver versus saying nothing and not updating or updating longer than say they quote you)

And as you can see the constant angry complaining is not doing any good.

Personally like I said yesterday if they either came out and said no more updates and then the forum would be full of complaints about how rotten they are for not giving one. It is a vicious cycle.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Your post was great! However say AT&T decides next time to be late as the other three carriers are now?

So who do you switch to?

Let's use carrier base numbers. Android and iOS account for 90% +/- of all sales. Windows Phones 6% +/- with Blackberry last.

Windows phones like android devices have slow or no updates. However the base of WP users being so small if everyone who owned one left today for AT&T it would not cause a ripple in the profit margin.

Not trying to sound mean or unfeeling but just showing where the WP users stand.

Then look at all the android calls for updates, some still don't have them and the ones that do come right back here and start complaining about Verizon's push of that update caused their screen to freeze, the battery doesn't last long, WiFi is not working, Bluetooth is not connecting properly as before, my data usage has gone through the roof. And many other issues. However these are the same people who cried and threatened to leave if they did not get that update. Now they threaten to leave if "Verizon doesn't fix that update which was not put out by them"

It is just pure crazy.

0 Likes
RiptideLA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't blame Microsoft, they released the update to all carriers at the same time. ATT has pushed the update, Verizon has not. Simple.

Blame Verizon.

Where I live, in the middle of a major city, I can choose any carrier and have fine reception. ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint - doesn't really matter.

I switched to Verizon to buy the Icon in June, with the promise of a summer update to 8.1. Promise - FAIL.

RiptideLA
Enthusiast - Level 2

This Elector guy is kind of clueless.

Suggesting that the carrier owes us nothing is false. You keep your customers happy or lose them, I don't care what the contract may say.

And carriers do way more than just provide bandwidth. They sell devices and services. And locking people into contracts means that there is a relationship. Every carrier DOES offer operating system upgrades, regardless of whether it's in the contract or not.

I work in telecom, and specifically in the area of contracting with the carrier's largest customers. So I have a pretty sophisticated understanding of telecom contracts relative to the average person. I don't work in retail, but in that area, the contracts, while meaningful, are only part of the story.

Not applicable

You are looking at services in a different perspective.

Verizon as a retailer sells many devices. However as a retailer (and I have read the largest retailer of devices) they are just like best buy or Walmart or Costco or Target etc.

This is a separate entity than Verizon as a service provider.

Think of it this way, you buy any phone from let's us Walmart. Now because Walmart sold that device does not mean they service it, warrant it or update it. The same applies to any carrier they sell devices that work on them.

Verizon as a cellular company sells you service to the cellular and data network with a device supplied by you to work on their network. This is as far as their liability extends.

The device on purchase and this is just an example was sold with an OS called Blue. Now a few months later the phone makers and OS developers now have a new OS call Red. However the phone at time of sale worked as stated on purchase. However nothing in our contracts or in our sales receipts state " you will get OS updates from the carriers for life" its not in there. Contracts are contracts.

Now let's step up to the customers and wanting to make them happy, as a company I am not obligated to make you happy by providing updates, I provide you service to the network. You pay for that service or you go to another service. However as if you state work or worked in communications industry you know that the complaints to the FCC is not going to do any good. The FCC cannot compel any carrier to update a phone they do not make or warrant. 

The locking in of a customer is not one sided. The lock comes from taking an $800 device for Zero to $199 which is a cost savings. The lock is customer iniated not carrier iniated. Big difference.

And as you must know by your post, the carrier does not have to update any device from original sale. But you believe Verizon and others should do so to "keep the customers happy" that is not a legal standing.

0 Likes
Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

hello62 wrote:

I don't fault Verizon.  It lays on the shoulders of Microsoft for not being able to coordinate the handful of US carriers to deliver on their promise.

You're kidding right? You expect Microsoft to NOT ADVERTISE something you can get on new WP 8.1 phones which are available for purchase?? Because Verizon is dragging their feet? Incredible! Verizon apologists out in force!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Motorola and HTC can do it...  They are small market manufacturers much like Nokia is.  So how are they able to do it and no other manufacturer can't?

0 Likes
bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

Want one more reason to be mad?

The just-announced Microsoft Band fitness tracker/wearable will ONLY work with devices supporting Bluetooth Low Energy. For the Lumia line this means Lumia Cyan firmware.

Buy Microsoft Band - Microsoft Store

For those blaming Microsoft, you clearly haven't looked at the Update chart:

Availability in North America - Nokia