Re: Windows Phone 8.1 & Cyan Firmware - When?
SeraphX2
Enthusiast - Level 3

VZW created the My Verizon Mobile app.

VZW created the VZ Navigator app.

VZW created the Backup Assistant app.

VZW changes the startup screen logo that they want you to see.

0 Likes
Not applicable

SeraphX2 wrote:

So?

0 Likes
SeraphX2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I bought WP phone on my own because I live in a Microsoft world; I was not baited by a sales person. I am a Microsoft-based developer and I do all of my development in Microsoft products at work and use all MS products at home which is why I want the phone.

The WP phone gets downplayed by store clerks.  So it doesn't matter how much advertisement you do, when you walk into a store, ask about the WP phone and a sales person says the phone is junk, the average consumer is going to listen to them and buy the Android or iPhone they subsequently try to pawn off on them.

0 Likes
SeraphX2
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, Tidbits is saying that VZW has nothing to do with firmware or apps that VZW backs.  VZW makes all of the addons they want you to have, not MS.

op2388
Enthusiast - Level 3

The fact that it is stated in an agreement does not make it right, it just makes it legal. If your company is having a representative say something just to get people on the hook which in turn leads to unhappy customers, I do not see how that is good business practice nor how it will ultimately make a company grow. If it wasn't for Verizon's network, I'm sure that there would be a mass exodus not just for WP but for many other platforms.

You talk a lot about common sense. Common sense dictates that it makes no sense to involve yourself in something which does not apply nor affect you (e.g. Windows Phone). So why are you here again?

Not applicable

SeraphX2 wrote:

Once they deem it their responsibility to approve the firmware and then inject their apps and their nuances into my phone, then I am, at that point, paying them for more than network access.

Actually no you are only paying for network access. Research and find any rules or regulations that what you are paying for is not connectivity to the network.

Your device may even have been bought at Verizon acting as a retailer just like Best Buy or Walmarts.

However after 14 days as with the rest your manufacturers warranty kicks in. Verizon does not make any devices, they make no code for updates (they give to device makers to put all that crapware on) they do not warranty your device. They only sell you access to their cellular and data network for a set dollar amount.

We may on occasion need help with the calling or texting or emailing or voice mail set up, but actually nothing else.

Updates and the issues after any update is between we the customer and device maker and OS developer.

Who knows maybe someday it will be like iOS updates. Verizon totally out of the loop.

I just don't know.

0 Likes
SeraphX2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Then they shouldn't be messing with my phone.  Whatever I pay them, some of that money goes to their developers to add apps to my phone and mess with how it works.  Regardless of what it *says* I am paying for, my monthly fee goes to somehow pay their developers.

How the heck do you know they give it to the MFG?  It says VZW published it, not MS.  MS puts their name on apps they publish that have come from third parties.  They've done it before.  So why would this be different?  Or is that VZW forcing them to put the VZW name on that as well?

Not applicable

op2388 wrote:

The fact that it is stated in an agreement does not make it right.

If you sign the agreement and use the services are are agreeing to the agreement. If you don't agree your option is to not have service with Verizon.

0 Likes
op2388
Enthusiast - Level 3

Again, the agreement makes it legal, not right. Everyone can choose to not sign the agreement and have another carrier but it might also mean they would also agree to having little to no communication signal.

Tidbits
Legend

SeraphX2 wrote:

Verizon paid a 3rd party to make those apps with the ability to change the branding.  They give it to the manufacturer because the manufacturer gives them the option to preinstall apps(see Apple for not giving the option).  From that point everything is handled by the manufacturer.  If Manufacturers can't handle giving options then stop giving them.