Re: Windows Phone 8.1 & Cyan Firmware - When?
Radioage
Enthusiast - Level 1
0 Likes
SeraphX2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I really am sick of seeing you commenting on something you obviously don't understand.

Verizon has made it a rule that they have to approve firmware updates to the phone before they can be deployed to a Windows Phone.  Verizon received 8.1 and the Cyan update at the same time every other carrier has and has, to date, failed to deliver on a single one of either of those updates.

So, yes, it *is* their fault that this is happening and they are definitely the ones to complain to.  They have neutered the WP experience for *all* of its users who haven't gone to the Developer Preview that Microsoft provides.  Users can get 8.1 with the Preview, but MS, contractually, cannot give Preview users firmware updates.

VZW has now, after a mere 8 months, discontinued the only high-end phone (until the M8 One is released) that Nokia/MS has on their network.  I was promised 8.1 by VZW because they touted it as being 8.1 ready.  I still have not received that.  They also have not approved the Cyan update that only they can provide.

Stop defending a company that is blatantly and obviously trying to destroy WP and degrading my phone experience just because they want to be a bunch of jackasses to MS and their userbase.

Tidbits
Legend

Good luck with that. Welcome to the android world... Yet manufacturers are actually starting to deliver updates in a timely matter regardless of what special device is coming out. Also manufacturers are becoming more and more transparent. I still don't see why Nokia can't do the same. Maybe they are afraid of backlash?

0 Likes
Not applicable

I don't care what your sick of. Get over it.

First I don't care if Verizon received any updates to any device this year or last year.

You are not entitled to any updates. They are a bonus from the makers of the device and OS developers.

Your experience was not now nor in the past as of date of sale diminished one bit. You bought the device as is, it worked when purchased and it works now. Period.

I hate sounding like a parrot but no updates are guaranteed to any devices. You have no idea what is going on in the background and I know I sure don't. If you do loan me your crystal ball so we can all see.

The problem here is you windows owners just like Androids and iOS keep saying what your rights are regarding updates. You and I have no rights. Pretty simple huh?

And I don't care what devices the carriers decide to drop, two of my androids in the past were retired.

And the sales of these devices are not any carriers bread and butter.

Just like poor RIM (Blackberry) the interest is no longer there. Blackberry at one time was the "in" device to own but they fell on hard times.

These windows phones are akin to the Amazon Fire Phone which came out exclusively on AT&T at a high price but now can be had for a penny. There just is no interest in the device.

Down the line all of them will be just a novelty.

As has been proven in many other threads and posts all the complaining or threats of leaving will not get you any update, unless Verizon and other carriers decide to allow it.

And only AT&T has allowed the updates. Its just a cell phone for gods sake, not the end of the world.

0 Likes
SeraphX2
Enthusiast - Level 3

If I am not guaranteed an update, then VZW should not say that the device is 8.1 ready and promote that as if I will be getting it in the near future.  And while no updates may be guaranteed, this is not MS's problem that we *don't* have it, it is VZW.  And that is the main reason I responded to you because you are defending them and telling people to talk to the MFG when in fact that is not the source of the problem.

And it may not be the end of the world, but I give all of these companies a lot of money for promises and set expectations only for them not to deliver.

And, I do in fact know what is going on "behind the scenes" because MS has made it clear that they are not in control of the updates.  Nokia keeps track of what is approved down to the level of each phone on each carrier and we can see that VZW and TMo are the only ones not approving updates for their WP phones.  Not just one or two, ALL.

If behind the scenes you really meant how they seem to be treating WP different than the other two brands, then you are obviously not paying attention to how WP has been treated since day 1.  VZW refused to even carry the phone for whatever reason until WP8. Since day 1 there has been minimal advertising. The mere fact that they do not promote these phones as much as others and that there are plenty of documented instances where workers either shrug the phone off and don't try to sell one at all and that there are workers blatantly telling customers that the phone sucks (as if they know what is best for each person; which, in their mind, is usually their phone of choice) may be part of the reason it is not catching on, not because the phone sucks.

op2388
Enthusiast - Level 3

Elector,

Seriously, dude, you can stop parroting your same spiel over and over. We get it, you love Verizon and you think customers have no rights to complain. I think it's pretty obvious by now you're not going to change anyone's mind and get them to stop giving grievances to Verizon. On the other hand, those complaining have a better chance of getting a response back and maybe, just maybe, getting something to change (as some on these forums have already been able to get in contact with upper management). I think people on here have every right to complain and demand the update as the 8.1 update was something that was touted by customer reps as a reason for buying this phone in the first place. Saying something like, "they're customer reps. they don't know anything," is an invalid excuse for trying to justify not having updates and is akin to a "bait and switch" sale because these people represent Verizon and shouldn't be making false statements in their stores to begin with. If you're not a WP user, it doesn't mean you can't participate in the forum but at least try to make your posts constructive. Up until now, I don't really see anything constructive in you saying that everything is fine with the status quo.

Not applicable

Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

Note the bottom paragraph.

I did not write these agreements but I know how to read and interpret them.

This can also be read by the other poster.

You see in life there are things that should be fought for. Better food, water, safer streets, advances in medicine to cure deseases, lower costs for health care etc.

Having folks constantly come to a help forum (note I did not say complaint or vent forum) and prattle on first about where such and such updates are, then come back here expecting help after those stupid updates disable the phone on which the carriers had absolutely nothing to do with should not need to be constantly rebuttled.

I use my intelligence, what else is more important in life? Surely all this banter is not what is most dear in your world.

You see I have found that when you use common sense to combat stupidity (complain to the FCC, FTC, etc) I get replies of give it up its not swaying this group or that. I should not have to sway anyone. Their own common sense should do that.

Complaints on something you are not entitled to are just wasted complaints. Doubtful other than a hand full of anyone reads or cares and that includes Verizon management.

You want to make a difference send them via USPS certified return receipt requested to the CEO get back that certified card, then you know its right at the main offices.

Not saying it will do any good. But it may be better than posting these complaints here.

And to the other poster, yes I like Verizon I don't have any issues almost for 26+ years under any name they were.

But I don't blame them for anything not related to what I pay for. The service is connectivity to the cellular and data network. That is what we pay Verizon for every month.

Not updates to my devices.

Well have a nice afternoon.

0 Likes
SeraphX2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Once they deem it their responsibility to approve the firmware and then inject their apps and their nuances into my phone, then I am, at that point, paying them for more than network access.

Tidbits
Legend

That's up to the manufacturer who gives them that option unlike popular belief the carrier doesn't do it. The manufacturer gets all that stuff in advance. Carriers don't touch the code.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

This agreement and the documents it incorporates form the entire agreement between us. You can't rely on any other documents, or on what's said by any Sales or Customer Service Representatives, and you have no other rights regarding Service or this agreement.

And Verizon does not have to push any device if they desire not to. They are in business to make money and profits.

This device you own just is not having people line the streets and wait in line like Apple iphones do.

Hey I waited in line for Microsoft Windows XP experience because I had nothing better to do. The os was not really anything to go crazy about. The MARKETING BY MICROSOFT is what made the hoopla sales.

It was your decision to buy the phone, you bought it because some fool in the store baited you to make a sale.

But as you can see above Verizon had that disclaimer in its terms of service.

I don't let sales people sway me. Sorry its too late for you to get some redress but maybe next time you will know better.

Have a nice afternoon.

0 Likes