Windows Phone 8.1 & Cyan Firmware - When?
CmdrRom
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm seeing many threads on this topic, and I have to add my voice to this matter.

I'm personally sick and tired of waiting for the official release of this firmware when it's been made available to your company by Microsoft since July. Furthermore, without 8.1 being released on VZW officially, users who have opted to not participate in the Developer Preview are being punished. There are ads running that promote Cortana, but that basic feature is NOT available until official Cyan updates are pushed.

So my big question: When are VZW customers going to get these updates? Silence on the matter is only going to fuel animosity.

Labels (1)
Re: Windows Phone 8.1 & Cyan Firmware - When?
whereisthe8_1update
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm really glad to see that I'm not the only who is genuinely pissed about this problem... right on dude.

Norcalsteve22
Enthusiast - Level 1

I came on here to ask customer support, but seen all the threads. I guess this is a problem. My phone acted up after the 8.1.1 Dev preview, so I reverted thinking the official Cyan/8.1 was released, or going to be. How the heck is it October already, and Verizon has not even release this yet? The Dev worked fine. Maybe Verizon is so damn rich they are actually cheap as hell to their employee's, therefore have only one tester hired part time.

Ridiculous... T-Mobile is looking mighty enticing! 

Not applicable

Good luck at your new provider.

0 Likes
hello62
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, my phone still works.  I don't have a problem with not having Cyan yet.  My problem is with Microsoft.  Their marketing team should be fired for making a promise they've yet to deliver on.  It really comes down to being realistic with the updates.  I've been seeing Cortana commercials for 4 months.  Overall the Windows Phone community is very dedicated to the product, so to promise something and not deliver should be a big area of embarrassment for Microsoft.  I don't fault Verizon.  It lays on the shoulders of Microsoft for not being able to coordinate the handful of US carriers to deliver on their promise.

op2388
Enthusiast - Level 3

Microsoft did its due diligence by releasing the Cyan update to all carriers on the same date. The issue is Verizon having listed the ICON as 8.1 ready with promises of the update in late summer and not so much as giving any indication as to when or if it will release said update. How do you know Microsoft hasn't been in contact with Verizon? Maybe Verizon just isn't interested in listening to Microsoft's voicemails.

0 Likes
Scott_L
Enthusiast - Level 1

I originally owned a Lumia 928 from its launch, then when I found out that it was not going to be able to take full advantage of the Windows 8.1 update I upgraded to the ICON.  Only to find out that the ICON does not support Glance. This situation is further exacerbated by the fact that VZW has completely left their customers hanging on a line out to dry waiting for an update that has been delivered to their biggest competitor AT&T over a month ago.

For years I have been able to fend off my kids chirping for an apple phone by providing hardware and user experiences that were fresh and engaging. My entire household (4 lines) use the Windows Phone platform and I am now hearing rumblings that the IP 6 is what they want and I hate the idea of moving to the apple business model.

HELLO MCFLY (VZW)!

Please come down off your IP 6 addiction and take care of your customers who PAID for a device sold and serviced by your company.   

p.s. and you wonder why the windows phone is not more popular.  it is because of the total lack of commitment by the carriers.

0 Likes
Not applicable

[Quote]

HELLO MCFLY (VZW)!

Please come down off your IP 6 addiction and take care of your customers who PAID for a device sold and serviced by your company.  

[/quote]

Makes no difference that you bought from Verizon as a retailer. Just like best buy or Walmart or Costco etc. And they do not service your phone. It is serviced by the device makers.

Verizon wireless sell you a connection to the cellular and data network. That is it. Period!

Verizon does not make devices they do not warrantee the devices they act as tech support when you have problems with their cellular and data network with your own working device.

Right Biff ?

0 Likes
bsites1968
Contributor - Level 2

Rumor has it Verizon retired the Icon.  If so, extremely disappointed in my switch to them.  They certainly haven't handled the Windows Phone well at all.  I honestly thought they'd be better at this stuff as a business.  Live and learn...

0 Likes
5_by_5
Enthusiast - Level 1

So this guy dies and goes to the pearly gates.  St. Peter says … well it looks like you get your choice, you have not been bad nor good. So the guy is given the option to go to both Heaven and Hell to get a preview of each.  He goes to Heaven and sees golden paved roads and angels flying around singing praises.  Then he goes to Hell and sees one big party with all kinds of fun things happening! St. Peter then asks him well what is your choice?  The guys says Hell looks like the place for me. Whoosh … off to Hell he goes.  When he arrives he is put in a dungeon of fire, cuffed and told to dig lava.  He asks one of the superior devils what happened to the party and all the fun? Oh that, that was just the “demo software”!

That is where I feel I am with the ICON and WP81.  I just went to Verizon HELL!