Windows 8.1 update for Icon?
joe41
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too am wondering when the update for the Icon will be released?  I spoke with a tech rep from Windows and they said it has been released to all carriers and that it's up to the carriers to as to how and when they push out the update.  Verizon, is there any information you could provide.  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Windows 8.1 update for Icon?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Read Verizon announces Windows Phone 8.1 upgrades for Lumia 822 and Lumia 928

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

So I don't have to repeat myself, read when will windows 8.1 be relased?.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Joe41,

We know that software updates can be exciting! We have no info on when Windows 8.1 will be released. You can keep checking VZW news for the latest device software updates http://bit.ly/n5snpq . Are you having issues with your device? Thanks again for your patience.

PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
markis

This will basically enhance my phone tremendously.  Is this the reason Verizon will not Upgrade the Icon?  one of the main reasons I purchased this phone was for the upcoming update.  Now you want me to purchase a lesser phone so I can get the 8.1 update?  Not a chance.

0 Likes
joe41
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the reply.  I am not having issues with my device.  But, if Verizon does not have intentions to support the device by pushing out the Windows 8.1 upgrade, it would have been nice to know at the time of purchase.  I really like the Windows phone OS.  But, if Verizon is not planning on supporting the product and updates, then I would be interested in Verizon allowing a phone upgrade at minimal cost.  If the salesperson had said, "You can buy this phone but Verizon won't be pushing out upgrades that are released for it," I may not have purchased it.  I don't want to have a phone that is not being supported. 

I am very satisfied with the phone, but if the updates are not going to be released I would be interested in an upgrade option under the same terms as when I purchased my Icon.  Thank you for your time.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Read Verizon announces Windows Phone 8.1 upgrades for Lumia 822 and Lumia 928

0 Likes
lylone
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree!  What's the point of getting a device if you have to wait 6 months for updates?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't base the purchase on a future possible OS update?

0 Likes
Mpmacal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Finally, got the Denim release on Friday the 13th (Feb),

(Is there irony here?)

OK... I was anxious and a bit miffed at having to wait.  Yes, I'm glad I didn't switch.

Cortana is neat (we're still getting acquainted), the Calendar is better, and the shortcut to action list (Swipe from very top of screen down) give immediate access to Airplane mode, Wireless, Bluetooth, etc. is spectacular.

It is near to getting a new phone.

NOTE:

I am adding this note for those who get antsy and try the update from a moving car....

First: It will do a pre-update.  It takes two minutes, and another two minutes to install.

Second: You then "check updates" again.  The main update should be done when you DON'T need your phone, on a good wireless connection.

After the upload, (5 or 10 min. for me), the installation process took about 1/2 hour.   You cannot use your phone during that time.  It is the main OS update. (Like trying to use Windows, while installing Windows on a PC).  You will only break something if you try.

Once that is done play and enjoy.  You should go through the tips app that also gets loaded.  There are enhancements that are really neat, but not of the kind I would have stumbled upon myself. (Your Volume key causes a V (down arrow) to appear in the upper right corner of the main screen (top status bar).  Tap it and you have two sliders to control phone volume and App volume.  There's more...  Enhanced camera, better performance with One Note...  quicker upload from One Drive... So far so good.

0 Likes