Re: Windows 10 upgrade
zock01
Enthusiast - Level 3

Loving Windows 10 insider preview for Redstone.  This build likes to be powered off daily like Vista and some versions of XP  This fixes some quirks with Microsoft Weather and News.  They are live tiles and get hung.  Also there is a hit and miss on saving attachments from emails.  It takes a time or two and then it decides to work.   Still recommend the production build so follow directions carefully.

Would any of you more Techy people be willing to do a step by step to get users there?  I dont think I am qualified.

0 Likes
eks1910
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also bought the Lumia 735 with the expressed impression that once Microsoft released Windows 10 mobile that it would be upgraded. Since Verizon still has of yet pushed it out, I have opted to getting windows 10 via the Microsoft Insider program, and it is working just fine. If you manage to convince some attorney to start up a class action suit I'll sign up, since Verizon hasn't delivered on what was promised regardless of the delay that Microsoft caused, it has been available for the last few weeks and still Verizon isn't pushing out the update.

reaganwins
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'll start asking my lawyer friends if they are willing and see where this goes.  If anyone else is interested, please reply as well.  Not sure if two people is enough, but if we get some more traction, maybe Verizon will start taking this seriously and get a real response to us all with firm timelines and delivery commitments.

sean161
Enthusiast - Level 3

From what I've been able to test, as long as the phone is in the eligible hardware list, doing this will give you Windows 10 Mobile, and the version should be pretty much indistinguishable had you gotten it from the Upgrade Advisor app. The difference is Verizon would still have to push firmware updates if there are any bugs as a result of the firmware. Microsoft is testing the ability to push their own firmware updates, but this is limited to the 950's currently.

Second note, Verizon's visual voicemail app might not work in 10. This may require a firmware, OS or app update, or a combination of the three.

NOTE: If your phone isn't on Microsoft's eligible phones list, this will still give you Windows 10 Mobile, but it's likely you won't receive the Redstone update when it comes out in July.

Here are the steps. Feel free to share it to anyone who needs it.

1) Download the "Windows Insider" application from the app store.

2) Opt into the "Release Preview" ring, not slow or fast as these are development branches. There should be two updates for the OS, one to get Windows 10, the other to update to the latest cumulative update.

3) Once finished with step 2, open the Windows Insider app and switch your ring over to "Production" at the bottom of the list. From there the phone should be configured to only receive official updates.

3) OPTIONAL: At this point, I would probably recommend hard resetting the phone (Settings > System > About > Reset your phone) as there could be some quirks as a result of the upgrade, but everyone's mileage will vary. This however, can cause you to lose data from apps. Make sure you have backups enabled on the device, but it won't backup everything.

If you want to go back to Windows Phone 8.1, use the Microsoft Device Recovery Tool.

primortal
Master - Level 1

sean161 wrote:

Second note, Verizon's visual voicemail won't work in 10. This may require a firmware, OS or app update, or a combination of the three.

I have no problems with Visual Voicemail on my Icon running Windows 10 Mobile (not the Redstone beta).

0 Likes
topher36
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been using "IseeVM" from YouMail since I switched to Windows Phone back in 2012.  I refuse to pay for the Visual Voicemail when it was free on the iPhone.  The basic IseeVM is better than what the iPhone gives you.  There are premium services as well.  Works well on W10M.

0 Likes
Leatherneck0629
Enthusiast - Level 2

Definitely need to do something, I am also frustrated.  One thing I noticed, I am paying for the Visual Voice Mail service and on Windows 8.1 OS there was no notification for a voicemail!  I had to manually check and refresh the app after every missed call to make sure.  Now with the Insider Build Preview, Windows 10 mobile, at least there is a weird VZW text message after a missed call that left a voicemail.  This can most certainly cause injury/loss if users do not receive an important communication (e.g. death, emergency call, job interview, business deal, etc...) what a sham!!!  This VZW/Microsoft feud is [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] !!!  I have been with Verizon since 2001 with the same number!!!  I left iPhone, after my iPhone 5 was all messed up after iOS 9.1.... whatever, with a non-responsive screen, among other problems.  And, then they had enough nerve to throw a pop-up add on the App store urging me to upgrade!!  So, I was tired of Apple and their snobby attitude.  So I thought, hmm, I'll jump to a Windows phone.  I have an Xbox One, and a Surface Pro 3.  I like Windows 10, and it says this phone will be Windows 10 upgradeable.  Good deal!  Now, this [removed] thing cant even give me a voicemail notification!!!  [removed] !!!!  So frustrated.

0 Likes
Leatherneck0629
Enthusiast - Level 2

What kind of privacy info do they have with regards to reading your voicemail and having your voicemail password?  I tried them with a blackberry a long time ago, and i didn't want to pay for their service so I dropped it.  Do they charge for extras features?  Or is it pretty straight forward?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Leatherneck0629,

Thank you for being the best part of Verizon Wireless the past years.  We can't thank you enough for your loyalty.  Let's make sure your phone is working as it should.  Is your phone connected to Wi-Fii or our network when you don't receive the voicemail notification?

EmmaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Leatherneck0629
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem exists on both network and when connected to both WiFi and network.  Neither connection yields a notification from the app.   Both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 mobile Insider Preview Builds do not receive notifications, but Windows 10 mobile Insider Preview Build does receive a text message from VZW when there is a voicemail.  This is completely ridiculous that iPhone/Android users can have integrated voicemail without dialing up the voicemail service, but Windows phone customers have to pay for VZW visual voicemail to receive the same caliber feature.  This does not happen on the other networks that Windows phones are on.  All because of CDMA versus GSM?  I feel as though there should be a warning when selling the phone stating that integrated voicemail is not offered with the phone (even though the OS has the capability that works on other networks)!  I think I may pursue a refund for this false advertising.  Very disappointed with the network functionality support this phone receives.  The Windows OS does have its bugs, but basic network functions are not an issue that should exist.  I am starting to look towards AT&T the more and more I think about it. 

0 Likes