Re: Windows 10 upgrade
zock01
Enthusiast - Level 3

How did you get the update then?  I do have a concern that Verizon techs are telling us that is how to get it.

0 Likes
justme12
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just google windows insider program win10 mobile. Install on phone insider app from MS store.

i.e using windows insider app, install latest release from the release preview ring. Once win10 installed go back to app and switch to production to reinstall.  That will leave you with the same install and upgrade path as if using the

upgrade advisor app. build .164 final release.

Do a hard reset after each install. From phone or volume up+power. Piece of cake!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Microsoft never submitted any of the phones for CDMA certification. Had they done that, Verizon Wireless would have been forced to let the phones onto the network...or...they would have been slapped with fines by the FCC, and, risked losing licenses to operate on certain frequencies/bands.

0 Likes
justme12
Enthusiast - Level 3

If not submitting is true, what is Microsoft's Satya Nadella thinking?  Why develop a mobile OS and not push it to all available devices? With the delays on Win10 mobile and incomplete Win10 desktop, MS seems to be slipping

in quality control and product development.

Wonder if the top echelon is even aware of these situations. You have a very small base supporting the WP and will

shrink more as people say forget it with all the waiting issues.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Supposedly the Lumia 950 models were used as placeholders to get something out in the market. The rumors are that the Surface Phones are planned to have the radio hardware and frequencies enabled to use on all the US carriers much like the iPhones, Nexus 5x, Nexus 6p and the Moto X 2015 pure edition are designed and certified for. If Microsoft manages to do this, we will have to wait and see.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
zock01
Enthusiast - Level 3

You talked me into it.

Upgrade path was slightly different for me.  I went to the Windows Insider App signed up for the Fast option and the phone rebooted and nothing happened.  I turned the phone off and on and still nothing.  I then went to update in settings and then the ball started rolling.  I will keep you updated I am still in phase one.

0 Likes
justme12
Enthusiast - Level 3

After the 1st update do a hard reset.  Then back to insider app for the preview ring, ( forgot to mention it downloads to the software update menu as you noticed.) Hard reset again. Check to insure build .164 then update all your apps

via the menu. Been running it on the 735 since published and no issues.

0 Likes
zock01
Enthusiast - Level 3

Goofed and did not follow your directions for the Production mode and repeated last cycle and am getting the latest and greatest preview build I hope I am not sorry.  Apps all upgraded themselves except for Windows 10 Upgrade Adviser which is pending.  Doubt that will work anyway.  Will be on 10.114291.1110 when finished.

I will keep you posted here how things go, thank you

0 Likes
sean161
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, just uninstall the Upgrade Advisor at that point as it serves no purpose now. Since you're on a beta build and not a production one, take note of the known issues for mobile at the bottom of this blog post, I think the main one is avoid doing a hard reset until it's fixed in a future build.

From here, using the insider app, you can change your ring to the "slow ring" if you still want to get these beta builds but with some testing before it gets pushed to your phone. If you switch over to production now, it will probably be months before you receive the final Redstone build.

If it doesn't work out, you can't roll back from the phone, but you can use the Microsoft Device Recovery Tool to go back to 8.1. From there, you can stay put or try it again, but you want to do the "Release Preview" ring, upgrade, then switch over to "Production" ring to get only final builds.

0 Likes
sean161
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just as I say that, there's a new build. Welcome to the rabbit hole that is the development branch.

0 Likes