Re: Will Verizon carry the Lumina 950 and 950XL?
highmindz

I have never wanted, nor will I ever use, an iPhone or Android phone. I will go back to a basic flip phone before ever submitting to Apple or Google. I caught a lot of crap back in the day because I used an old flip phone on Sprint for the longest time. I went from that to my first smartphone in the form of a Moto Q9c on Windows Mobile 6. Made the switch to Verizon to get an HTC Trophy on the new and improved WP7 operating system. When wandering into a Verizon store to play with the phone in person, the rep had no idea what I was talking about and immediately tried to sell me an iPhone, to which I politely said "no thanks." I grabbed a tablet that they had on display, looked the phone up on the VZW website, and checked the in-store availability. They only had one.. somewhere in the back of the store, wasn't even on display. I showed it to the rep and he was like "never seen that before," so I had him bring it out so I could play with it. He was completely blown away that someone asked for something that wasn't in iPhone or a Droid. The look on his face was like I was a doctor telling him that he has cancer. He finally found the Trophy in the back & brought it out. He and I sat there and I explained the phone and features and he was completely blown away, wow. The reps in the VZW stores today remain as clueless about the WP ecosystem as they were back in the days of WM6 & WP7. They still have absolutely no desire to push the WP platform, even when they carry it, because iPhones & Droids are easy sales (and of course we're all just 15 year old girls who just want to FaceTime our BFF's.) I now have the Lumia Icon on WP8.1 (which is an astonishing piece of hardware,) that I upgraded online because the in-store experience is so absolutely dreadful, but VZW discontinued it less than or about ONE YEAR after I bought it, both online and in-store. So how exactly are my jealous friends and colleagues supposed to get their own Lumia Icon Super-phone Extraordinaire? Clearly, they have no interest in helping grow the MS/Nokia platform.

So +1, I'm with the original poster. If VZW doesn't get it together and get on board with making WP a major player, my lines and I are moving on. Simple as that.

0 Likes
ShadowRider
Enthusiast - Level 3

primortal, Thank you for the link.  Just sent David Small a note regarding my interest.  It may be more important to do that then post on these forums.  The techs here may as well be bots, so who knows how much info gets pushed upstream.

0 Likes
S_Banks

Same as all the others above me... been a Verizon customer longer than I care to mention. Been using Windows based smart phones since WinMo early days. I love my Verizon coverage, but willing to take my two lines to AT&T for the 950XL. The cross-device ability running Windows 10 on my Desktop, Tablet, Xbox One (soon) is just too compelling.

0 Likes
David_Dean_Sings

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but C|Net, as well as Phone Arena are reporting that Verizon told Microsoft they wouldn't authenticate the 950s on their network.  MS has turned off the appropriate radio frequencies on the 950s. 

It seems to be a done deal.

I hate this, because Verizon, as awful as they can be, has the best network.  But it seems that management has always had distaste for MS products.

I'll be moving to another carrier...

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless won't authenticate the 950s because the phones are not CDMA enabled.

Had Microsoft enabled CDMA, sent the phones through the certification process and paid fees to Qualcomm, VZW would have to let the phones onto the network.

If VZW blocked the 950s, the FCC would level fines on VZW and potentially revoke licenses. VZW would have to prove that the 950s would be detrimental to the VZW network in order to legally block authentication. Disinterest of devices that run on Windows wouldn't qualify them as a threat to the VZW network.

DonJones1963
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had also read that Verizon was not going to carry the new Luminas and it is not due to lack CDMA support.

Verizon management is very short-sited.   They have a great network and this my only hesitation to move but once ATT gets the phones in so they can be purchased, I am walking into Verizon to let them know and then to ATT and making the switch.   Watch as businesses move to Windows 10 phones and those that are Microsoft centric in their technology needs move as well.   We want one OS on all devices and now we have it.  Why do you think Google is going to combine Android and Chrome now.   Maybe a little concern.  I know MS has a small market share in phones, but that means there is no where to go but up.

In any case, I hope within a month to move to ATT and the Lumina 950XL.

runestrom
Enthusiast - Level 1

I like Verizon but if they won't support the Lumina 950xl I'm heading to ATT as well

0 Likes
cunokyle
Enthusiast - Level 1

I will be moving all 4 of my lines to AT&T if Verizon does not carry the new Lumia devices.

0 Likes
ChrisCalvin71
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have not been happy with the apple iPhone nor android devices.  I am really happy with the Lumia 928 and really want to have the new Lumia 950XL.  The 5.7" screen, continuum, dual antenna, 20 MP camera, and much more.  Plus the Windows 10 OS.  Going to be one of the best phones I could use.  I hate AT&T, they screwed my family and our account that is why we switched to Verizon.  Please bring this phone into your collection. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

They will not. It has been said for a long while now. MS limited it to AT&T for the short term and have long term plans. 950/XL by the sounds of it is nothing more than a Windows 10 showcase device until MS gets their branding phone out (rumored Surface Phone). So short term is showcasing and long term will be the big push of the surface name.

0 Likes