Re: Will Verizon be carrying Windows 950 , 950XL ?
Tidbits
Legend

Dude that's utter nonsense.  It has been proven MULTIPLE times with the iPhone 6 and higher and the Nexus 6.  It can't activate sim cards but it works.  The system will say "Non Verizon device" and is compliant with Block C rules for any device NOT in their system and not sold by Verizon.  There's plenty of information backing this from LAST YEAR to present.  Your friend doesn't know what he is talking about. His opinion is also far from fact.  The Nexus 6 never had the IMEI in the system and they worked and just couldn't activate sims.  If you want just go to the Nexus 6 forums and find threads from last year November and you will find the information proving what I am telling you.  A lot of people were not happy at the fact the phone couldn't activate sim cards and not about it actually working.  It was even confirmed that Motorola did not give Verizon nor Sprint the MEID sold from Google Play or their own stores. 

Also the FCC stamp on teh 950/950 XL disproves that article that Verizon won't activate or allow it on their network.  FCC will even side with Verizon because well...  MS didn't make it work for the network.  They did not put CDMA(WCDMA IS NOT CDMA...  LEARN THE DIFFERENCE) and matching spectrum, They did not put in EVDO, and they did not put 700 spectrum Block C to be fit into the rules.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Windows Mobile devices have a small but loyal group of users in the US.

0 Likes
TIMDOWS

@Geebox This does not surprise me one bit.

Kind Regards,

*Sent from my Windows Phone

0 Likes
killian29
0 Likes
PCPhill

I really think that this may finally make me change carriers. I've been struggling with VZWs lake of support for Windows devices starting with the HTC Trophy. I've loved the coverage area which is important to me as an OTR driver, but I've been overpaying for service for years. I'm also tired of waiting forever for approved updates. I REALLY want a 950XL. I'll wait a bit, but if VZW doesn't start carrying flagship Windows phone, I'm gone...

BTW: build 10586.11 on my Icon is really looking good. I think it's ready for prime time

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is highly unlikely that the 550, 950 & 950XL will be offered or made for Verizon Wireless & Sprint. Microsoft did not submit the new phones for CDMA certification. Microsoft only submitted them for GSM certification, meaning that they will only work on at&t, T-Mobile and their various resellers. Apparently the costs for CDMA certification are higher than GS certification. Microsoft would also have to pay licensing fees to Qualcomm for CDMA.

With the Surface Phone reportedly in the works, the restricting of the three new phones to GSM networks could be a simple cost cutting move on Microsoft's part. Also, Verizon Wireless is slowly moving away from CDMA in order to be fully able to participate in BYOD. So, if CDMA is going away, it doesn't make much sense to spend money to certify new devices.

Now, if the Surface Phone arrives an it is not compatible with Verizon Wireless's VoLTE bands, then there will be trouble.

MobileGeek42

"Regarding the upcoming Lumia 950(XL) based on the current leaked Frequency Bands

GSM  2G Bands: GSM 850, GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900

GSM 3G Bands:  HSDPA 850, HSDPA 900, HSDPA 1900, HSDPA 2100

GSM 4G Bands:  LTE 2100, LTE 800, LTE 1800, LTE 2600, LTE 900) , they do not have VZW frequency bands and will not able to activated on Verizon."

Official specifications from the Microsoft store

• GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
  • GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 296.0 kbps
  • GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
  • WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850 MHz), Band 8 (900 MHz)
  • WCDMA max data speed DL: 42.2 Mbps (Cat 24)
  • WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76 Mbps (Cat 6)
  • LTE FDD network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 3 (1800 MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 7 (2600 MHz), Band 8 (900MHz), Band 12 (700 MHz), Band 17 (700MHz), Band 20 (800MHz), Band 28 (700 MHz)
  • TD-LTE network: Band 38 (2570-2620 MHz), Band 40 (2300-2400 MHz)
  • LTE max data speed DL: 300 Mbps (Cat 6)
  • LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 6)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/phone/lumia950-xl/specifications/

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yup...The specs are a complete mismatch for Verizon Wireless and Sprint.

0 Likes
bgoodbody
Contributor - Level 1

I have chosen to upgrade my HTC8x to the MS Lumia 735 with the 100 discount from VZW while all this gets sorted out. It will get Win 10, but is a midlevel phone and will not support Continuum.

0 Likes