Why you should get the Dev preview if you stay with Verizon
longshot68

I debated a long time about getting the Dev Preview 8.1.  I thought Verizon would be timely in their execution.  I was worried something would break.  I didn't want to go through signing up as a developer.  I was worried about the cyan issue etc...

You can only wait so long.  And after I read that they resolved the cyan update issue, I took the plunge.  I signed up for the $20 package (I have heard you can actually do this for free if you choose the Option 2: Build apps using App Studio at the Windows Phone Preview for Developers – Windows app development site, but I do not really know).

Here is what I discovered:

1. My phone had to install 2 updates of Windows phone 8.0 before going to 8.1.  I knew you had to be at least at GDR2 but wasn't my Verizon phone already at GDR2?  Wasn't Verizon at least keeping 8.0 updated?? Apparently not.  So Verizon has been withholding 2 updates for 8.0 all this time.

2. The phone works great.  No issues at all.  The first 2 days it seemed the battery drained quickly.  But each day seemed to get much better.

3. It is ok to have 8.1 and not have Cyan yet.  It does work.

And my last discovery which is really just my opinion, is that since Verizon never released the 2 updates for Windows 8.0 they are having to play catch up.  I still think they have had plenty of time, but now they are having to test 8.0 update 1, 8.0 update 2 and 8.1.

Also, if Verizon never updated 8.0, they will most likely never update 8.1 when and if they get to it.  With the Dev Preview, you are (it seems) guaranteed to get updates.  I love Cortana.  I wish I had done this when the Dev Preview first came out.  I will be moving to AT&T as soon as my contract ends, but will still probably stay with the Dev Preview.

I do think it is smart to wait a few weeks before getting each new update just to see if anyone comes across issues first.

Oh, and I also went by our local Verizon store in the mall last week.  I did not see one Windows Phone on display.  I never got a chance to ask because they only had 2 employees working and they were helping people.  Was not even worth my time.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why you should get the Dev preview if you stay with Verizon
primortal
Master - Level 1

You haven't stated which phone you have, but VZW released Update 3 (GRD3) for the 822 on 2/17/2014 and for the 928 on 2/11/2014 which included Update 1 (GDR1) and Update 2 (GRD2).

If you have the Icon you might have gotten the update released on 5/7/2014 that changed the boot screen to VZW red with logo, improvements to wi-fi connectivity and roaming enhancements.  Also enabled the upload/download arrows for wi-fi and cellular icons.

The only update's VZW is holding out on at the moment is releasing Windows Phone 8.1+Cyan.  Which should be out in the next few weeks as per Microsoft Windows Phone blog, http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/09/24/new-update-for-windows-phone-preview-for-develop...

0 Likes
longshot68

Sorry about not posting the phone model.  I have the Lumia 928.  You stated in your post that the 928 had both updates.  Mine did not and neither did a friend of mines.  He had to go through 2 updates on his 928 as well.  While I cannot confirm what my versions were before or after (as I did not expect to have to do this) those 2 updates took just as long as the 8.1 update.  So my guess is they were GDR1 and GDR2.  Unfortunately there is no way to go back and confirm.  I would be curious what these 2 updates were that were so large if they were not GDR1 and GDR2.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

No worries.

Then they most likely been GDR2 and GRD3.  If the phones were brand new, VZW wouldn't have updated them to the latest and greatest before selling them.  Too much work to un-pack, install all updates and re-pack when the user can do it themselves when activating/configuring the phone.

0 Likes
longshot68

I have had my phone for about a year now.  It is not new.  I had read that GDR3 was originally required but then just GDR2.  Who knows.  Thanks for your information.

0 Likes
Geebox
Contributor - Level 3

Longshot is correct. The Windows Phone 81. Preview of Developers sounds more technical and scary then it actually is. It is legitimately Windows Phone 8.1 from Microsoft. It works flawlessly on my 928's and 822.

Get Windows Phone 8.1 now legitimately!

0 Likes
Tepid
Contributor - Level 1

primortal wrote:

You haven't stated which phone you have, but VZW released Update 3 (GRD3) for the 822 on 2/17/2014 and for the 928 on 2/11/2014 which included Update 1 (GDR1) and Update 2 (GRD2).

If you have the Icon you might have gotten the update released on 5/7/2014 that changed the boot screen to VZW red with logo, improvements to wi-fi connectivity and roaming enhancements.  Also enabled the upload/download arrows for wi-fi and cellular icons.

The only update's VZW is holding out on at the moment is releasing Windows Phone 8.1+Cyan.  Which should be out in the next few weeks as per Microsoft Windows Phone blog, http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/09/24/new-update-for-windows-phone-preview-for-develop...

That is not true. No where in that blog does it say that those that have not yet been offered Cyan will be getting Cyan.

They are saying that they have fixed the issues and are releasing the block on the Cyan update to those carriers that have released the update. WE will not get WP8.1.1+Cyan till Verizon releases the update. Period. Regardless of what MS does.

0 Likes
Tepid
Contributor - Level 1

Geebox wrote:

Longshot is correct. The Windows Phone 81. Preview of Developers sounds more technical and scary then it actually is. It is legitimately Windows Phone 8.1 from Microsoft. It works flawlessly on my 928's and 822.

Get Windows Phone 8.1 now legitimately!

That has been available for months now. Not new.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Microsoft is the releasing the block because of the fix they released

Tepid wrote:

That is not true. No where in that blog does it say that those that have not yet been offered Cyan will be getting Cyan.

They are saying that they have fixed the issues and are releasing the block on the Cyan update to those carriers that have released the update. WE will not get WP8.1.1+Cyan till Verizon releases the update. Period. Regardless of what MS does.

That not entirely true.  Microsoft has been releasing Windows Phone 8.1+Cyan in blocks since that post on 9/24.  If you noticed the day of the post two phones on AT&T; Lumia 920 and the Lumia 925 magically got Windows Phone 8.1+Cyan.

A link backing up the fact they are releasing Windows Phone 8.1+Cyan in blocks, http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-unleashes-lumia-cyan-100-more-windows-phone-and-operator-combos

So in the next few week we shall see if we get the update or not.

0 Likes
jkallinen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Finally figured how to get the Preview for developers installed. Loving all the new features that 8.1 gives

my Nokia Lumia Icon Black. So far it has installed 3 updates.

0 Likes